Grizzly 4003G Lathe Chatter Problem

I am glad for your success,but I hope you do not whip up a fantastic THREAT for everyone!!!! Especially if you have 4 pounds of Tannerite!!!:):):)

My friends and I do not buy Tannerite because we do not want to end up on someone's list in the government.

I am glad for your success,but I hope you do not whip up a fantastic THREAT for everyone!!!! Especially if you have 4 pounds of Tannerite!!!:):):)

My friends and I do not buy Tannerite because we do not want to end up on someone's list in the government.

Haha!! Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed now!

But I agree with you on the list, unfortunately once the tannerite (or any other binary target) bug bites...it's hard to get rid of it! Fortunately I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere so we don't bother too many people and we can be as safe as possible.

This is good to know, about the bearing pre-load, not the Tannerite (not sure exactly what it is but I'm guessing if I Google it a little red flag goes up somewhere.)
I have been looking at the G4003G lathe and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm glad you solved the issue and it didn't wind up to be a major problem.

John

"one nut with a spit in it and two set screws in there instead of two spanner nuts"?
Wow, that's appalling. Congratulations on solving this chatter problem.
I have a 40003G and I will be cringing if time comes to readjust the preloads on the bearings.
---Joe

This is good to know, about the bearing pre-load, not the Tannerite (not sure exactly what it is but I'm guessing if I Google it a little red flag goes up somewhere.)
I have been looking at the G4003G lathe and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm glad you solved the issue and it didn't wind up to be a major problem.

John

Tannerite is a binary target sold at most gun shops. Basically that means its two ingredients that when mixed together become quite the lively reactive target. It's completely safe when hit with a hammer, lit on fire, or dropped down the stairs but when it's shot with a bullet going at least 2000 Ft./s a sizable explosion is triggered. So it's completely legal to buy as long as your 18 (or 21 depending on location). It's very fun to play with and very safe as long as you follow the warnings on the box (Like stand back when shooting it!). Unfortunately some folks choose to be irresponsible with it, thus giving it a bad name in some circles of society.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, So it appears I may have spoke too soon....My problem returned after a day of light use. I called up grizzly and talked to a very helpful man named Greg. I think Grizzly has changed quite a bit in the last few years, I remember people complaining how bad Grizzly customer support was years ago. Anyway, Greg confirmed my suspicions that it was likely a bearing. So onto my next question, has anyone ever taken the main spindle out of one of theses machines? I believe it's as simple as (haha, right?) taking off my collars from either side, taking a snap ring off in the gear box and whacking it through the gearbox? I'm hoping that when I get the spindle out, all the planets will align and I will see a clearly warn bearing and just screaming to be replaced...

Tannerite is a binary target sold at most gun shops. Basically that means its two ingredients that when mixed together become quite the lively reactive target. It's completely safe when hit with a hammer, lit on fire, or dropped down the stairs but when it's shot with a bullet going at least 2000 Ft./s a sizable explosion is triggered. So it's completely legal to buy as long as your 18 (or 21 depending on location). It's very fun to play with and very safe as long as you follow the warnings on the box (Like stand back when shooting it!). Unfortunately some folks choose to be irresponsible with it, thus giving it a bad name in some circles of society.

yup
big explosions on son of guns or that fake russian on youtube use it.
fpsrussia,nearly got killed with debree:jester: still like his videos,lol

it's not legal in calif.,yet stores sell it here:whistle:???????????????

never tried it myself....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, So it appears I may have spoke too soon....My problem returned after a day of light use. I called up grizzly and talked to a very helpful man named Greg. I think Grizzly has changed quite a bit in the last few years, I remember people complaining how bad Grizzly customer support was years ago. Anyway, Greg confirmed my suspicions that it was likely a bearing. So onto my next question, has anyone ever taken the main spindle out of one of theses machines? I believe it's as simple as (haha, right?) taking off my collars from either side, taking a snap ring off in the gear box and whacking it through the gearbox? I'm hoping that when I get the spindle out, all the planets will align and I will see a clearly warn bearing and just screaming to be replaced...

I just bought a g4003g
I'm watching this thread
& searching for anything here on this lathe to gain info on all things g4003g
hope it's a quick fix buddy:allgood:

Grizzly Tech support should be able to give you a step by step guide via email. Review their procedure to make sure it makes sense. Check youtube to see if you can find any vids for any 12x36 spindle bearing change.

Bearing failure should be reflected by high radial or axial movement of your chuck/spindle if you prise it with a short (24") lever. You should also see some "cuttings" (metal particles) at the bottom of the oil sump.

I am surprised that your bearings have gone already. Did you follow the break in procedure for the headstock with an oil change after 2 hours or so of running? I have a G4003. I removed the cover and cleaned the bottom of the sump after the run in period. I found a fair amount of cuttings. I put in some magnets to catch anything I could not get out or formed during regular use.

MK

:whiteflag: <---- Thats me, waiving the white flag and hoping that the lathe fairy will come down and fix my lathe. So I pulled out my spindle, popped out my bearings and races, both were unevenly worn and there were some scratches in the races. (Yay! This must be my problem, right?!) So I went and picked up brand new Timken bearings and races. Oddly enough the smaller one was made in Poland and the larger in Italy. I replaced them and threw the machine back together and........No better. Albeit, the lathe is quieter now, but the chatter and poor finishes still remain.

I have no doubt that when I finally do solve my problem, Im most likely going to feel quite silly. So I suppose I start from square one again now that I just shat $120 worth of bearings away. (Anyone want any NSK Japan made bearings?)

Add on top of all of this, My classes just started today...Too bad the Grizzly folks don't have techs that will come out and check machines!

My bearing replacement was rather wasteful but perhaps I'll post a full write up with pictures of the process if anyone is interested.

Also...Anyone interested in a used Grizzly 4003G Lathe? :lmao:

I'd be interesting in hearing more about the bearing swap, it sounds like it wasn't that eventful. Did you ever try a face cut to see if its chattering? Divide and conquer, there's only a few things it could be so having eliminated the spindle and the chuck that doesn't leave too many things. Determining if it chatters on both OD turning and face cuts or not will give you more information. Have you adjusted the cross slide brass nut? Next I would look at the carriage, mine is brand spanking new and the carriage already moves too easily imo. Does it chatter turning in both left and right directions?

Please post the bearing changeout pics. That way we can benefit from your hard work. I was not able to find any bearing change for this model documented online.

MK

Back