Grizzly 4003G Speed Question

This seems to be a thread where the following question is pertinent::

The G4003G has 2HP
There are a variety of videos on the net concerning negative rake insert tooling.
Many of these videos suggest CNMG tooling needs more HP than CCMT, etc.

Does the 2HP the G4003G has fall into the "not enough" or the "about enough" category wrt negative rake insert tooling?
Not enough for heavier work and negative rake tooling. Even those of us with 13x40 and 14x40 import machines are mostly in the same boat, at least on some or much of our work. I don't even mess with negative tooling and don't even have CCMT tooling for my 13x40 Kent lathe. Heavier lathes with lots more cast iron and 5 or more hp, or something like a 10EE in lighter lathes, sure. IMO...

Reactions: Z2V
The cast stands make a noticeable difference too, you gotta get up in size on the new machines before you see the cast iron. I use CCMT inserts because I work with tool steels 99% of the time, you can run them at say 1,000 rpm but your better off using HSS at the lower speeds. I use both, but I prefer carbide insert tools, they save me time and work much better on the hard steels. I get okay finishes at 1400 with a RH turning tool, but it likes 1800 for the last couple cuts when its say a .300 drill rod.

2 hp from one source probably is not the same from another. Look at the motor's amp rating, that may give you a better idea of the real power. Precision Mathews has a 11x27 that has the features of a lager machine in a compact size with variable speed. I almost bought one, I ended up remolding my shop to make room for a 1236. They are about the same price. I looked hard at the Grizzly offerings and kept going back and forth comparing them to the PM machines. PM has similar models with nice refinements, that 11x27 is a really nice machine if you don't want a 1200 pounder.

The biggest thing I would like to see on the gunsmith lathe, is a much lower low speed. Somewhere in the 20 to 25 RPM would be nice.

For what its worth, I think the G4003G has a much beefier tailstock quill and a norton gearbox which is great for inch threads- no end gear replacements required for all inch feed rates and thread pitches. When I made the decision last year that was more important than an extra 400 RPM and the longer warranty

Last edited:
Digadv, did you ever make a decision? I went thru the same thing but what helped me decide was local seller selling a near-mint G4003G. I've been very happy with my decision, but if I didn't have that opportunity I would've went with the PM1236 with a VFD. I think all around, including support from Matt and the PM guys, you get a better deal. D1-4 chucks are easier to find and slightly cheaper than D1-5 (tho not too bad), and for $200 you can get the heavier cast iron PM stand. The G4003G stand is now lighter steel stand and the lathe is already $100 more than PM without the cast iron stand. Wider speed range on the PM machine. The shipping is $50 less for PM. Lastly, and this ia a doozy, while both lathes are considered good machines Grizzly is only a 1 year warranty. PM's is 3 years. That's a big difference, IMO, though hopefully you wouldn't have to use it. It's better to have it and not need it....

@Splat - yes, I went with the PM, but it was very close and came down to the wire on Grizzly's end of year sale. I see that Grizzly has now raised the price and I think Matt will follow soon. One thing to note is that my PM1236 came with an outboard spider so that was a happy surprise.

Back