Grizzly Closing Store

I would guess that 95% of their business is internet sales, so maintaining a showroom just doesn't make fiscal sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bellingham showroom here close too... there is never more than a few customers in the store whenever I visit.

Well the Bellingham store is near the Canadian frontier, I'm not sure they have indoor plumbing up there yet.

Yes they would have to spend a bit more on overhead but the exposure to the 18+ million people that live within a 50 mile radius of NYC would mean many more sales. They wouldn't need to have a huge warehouse here, just a showroom. I for one, would never by any major machine without seeing it first, in person.

Bill is correct, if you get anywhere near the NE they latch onto you like vampire bats and suck you dry. There's a reason businesses packed up and fled out of there to North Carolina and Texas. Here's a taste of NY, property taxes on a $65,000 house...wait for it...$4,450 a year :eek 2: If they put a warehouse in NY they would get audited yearly and forced to pay sales tax on every out of state internet sale. I lived in NY for 10 years and NJ for 2 years, its a beautiful area of the country I love it there but damn the taxes are insane. If you go to the bank and get a loan to buy a house...they tax the loan and its not a couple hundred dollar processing fee your talking $3,600 on a $250k loan. If you decide to refinance the house a couple years later, yeah they slam you again for the full amount :eek 2:.

You are correct, the taxes around here are insane, in some places even worse than your example. However, it doesn't stop other companies like Harbor Fright from doing business here.

One thing I can say for sure, there are no $65,000 houses in a 50 mile radius of NYC. :cocksure:

Back