Grizzly G0602/G0752 Spindle replacement

Warren, I see you said you ordered a replacement spindle from Grizzly. What did it look like? I just received my 2nd one and not very happy. First one had a major scratch where the gear side bearing should be. The second one has some nicks in the chuck threads. They both had 'marks' where the bearings should be. Almost like 'used'

g0602spindle.JPG
Thanks
Jim

Warren, I see you said you ordered a replacement spindle from Grizzly. What did it look like? I just received my 2nd one and not very happy. First one had a major scratch where the gear side bearing should be. The second one has some nicks in the chuck threads. They both had 'marks' where the bearings should be. Almost like 'used'

View attachment 296771
Thanks
Jim
Hi Jim,
Looks like a grinding issue with the dark markings.
Would normally be a reject in my book, but some polishing between centers will take it out. This will necessitate access to another lathe.
The outboard brg journal should be a firm " sliding " fit as this is your adjustable end. I polished mine with wet and dry and wd40 until i could just get my brg on. I wanted to achieve a very close fit which would allow easy adjustment of the spindle brgs during setup. I mean a fit bordering on interference where the bearing is easily moved when you move the adjusting nut.
I also measured the interference at the chuck end and reduced that to 0.0015" because it was too much from factory and creates problems getting brgs off and on.
Make sure you oil the journals when pressing your brgs on to prevent galling.
The only other criteria required is for your spindle to be true, so unless its bent, rework what you think needs to be done and dont rely on grizzlies experts for help.
We'll help ourselves.
The scratch is just plain carelessness on someone's behalf, should have been packed in a cylinder. Be prepared to do a bit of servicing to your machine and you'll know it better. Good for your confidence.
Cheers alby

Last edited:
Good info.. I used my old spindle with new Timken bearings and did more of a brute force install so couldn't really 'preload'. Might just do-over using your method. (do have other lathe)
Thanks
Jim

Good info.. I used my old spindle with new Timken bearings and did more of a brute force install so couldn't really 'preload'. Might just do-over using your method. (do have other lathe)
Thanks
Jim
Cheers Jim, just remember that realistically nothing should be a "brute force" install because thats when the proverbial can hit the fan and we end up cursing either ourselves or someone else, not worth the stress mate.
Cheers alby

Hi Jimrk...Sorry I didnt notice your post. I think they look used too. Mine didnt have those marks on it.

Back