Grizzly G0602/G0752 Spindle replacement

I measured the inner and outer races. This is with the 2 pieces put together, so the smaller inner race is 1.870 inches which is equal to 47.498mm and the outside (largest diameter with the 2 pieces together) race is 2.953 inches, or 75.00 mm. Using my calipers, the best I can come up with its hopefully close enough to tell, if not let me know. I can check again. Seems the inner race measurement doesn't look right but that's what I get.

Last edited:
fittterman1, By the way, I tried to find your post "my g0602 my way"...but couldn't come up with it here. Will try some more. Correction, I just found it , its called "my workman (g0602) my way". Wow, your definitely finding a lot to do on your lathe. I need to find those bearings and your problem with the tailstock quill moving is something I need to look at too, it is annoying.
Time spent on the lathe is roughly 2 yrs on and off, mostly off.
I'm in the process of shifting to a farm so lots of things are on hold atm, while we organise ourselves.

If you say you pranged the saddle into the chuck, I would consider an alignment check while you're at it.
Cheers Alby

Thanks fitterman1, good luck on your move... If anyone knows who has the bearings for the G0602/G0752 please let me know, otherwise I will have to get them from grizzly which although probably ok, if I can get some better ones it would be great while it is apart. After I get the spindle back in I will check on the head stock alignment. Does anyone know the best way to check headstock alignment? Thanks all for your time helping me on this. Warren

I believe you can take the gears to a supply house that sells bearings they can measure and make sure you get one the same size and of good quality. i haven't bought bearings in a long time but purchased them from a company called bearings inc. it was in Pasco Washington. there have to be other companies that specialize in bearings if you live anywhere near a large city. quality is cheap compared to the pain in a butt it is to change bearings once will be enough that you won't want to do it again.

Make sure to check that your spindle is straight before installing your new bearings. Did you check the run out before taking it apart? Hope it all goes smoothly. Mike

No of course I didnt think to check the runout before taking it apart, I need to kick myself. Is there a way I can check to see if it is straight now, or would I need to have a machine shop check it?

Metalchipper, I found a bearing place not far from here, planning on taking one of the bearings there . Hopefully they can match it. I think they have TIN bearings there. Thanks for the post. Anyone, if anything I should know or mention to the store guy let me know, please.
....and fomogo, you made me nervous. It looks like I should order a new spindle from grizzly... I dont want to take a chance and have it not quite right after installing new bearings etc. Also, I seem to have noticed the lathe seemed a tiny bit out of balance after. This way all should be good when done. Thanks all for your input. If I have a question I will add to this I spose. Warren

i think i would play it safe and replace anything that is even the least bit suspicious. Personally i would hate to do the job more than once ( actually i would hate to do it once ) my Grizzly 0602 has been modified with a new 220 3 phase motor and a phase converter now i dont begin to know exactly what was done i did the machining on the new motor mount and almost all the putting it together. I have a good friend who owned a electrical contracting company who did all the electrical. he had me do all the rest so i would learn a bit. i now have speed control from 35 rpm to 2400. i still have to change gears but have a lot large range of speed with each setting. i needed the lower rpm so i could thread rifle barrels.

Nice, 35 rpm is pretty low... That's why I got the G0752 model for the easy changing of speeds with a dial instead of changing a belt for every little difference I might want. Yea, I agree I would rather change anything that might be bad now instead of fooling with it over and over. I guess this will teach me to check everything before I do something on it. Im glad FOMOCO mentioned it, I was taking it for granted the spindle was probably good. Gonna order it tonight and by Saturday get to that bearing shop to hopefully get the new bearings. Then I will be set to get it back together. I hate having it apart and not being able to use it when I want. : ) Only good thing is im always curious on how they build different things and this way I learn about it, but getting to expensive this way.

Looking forward to your progress Warren. I just bought a used G0602 last night.

Back