Grizzly G0602/G0752 Spindle replacement

WarrenP

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone, Im hoping someone can answer me on how to remove the spindle on my G0752 Lathe. I have removed the nuts, gears, etc on the left side of the lathe. It looks like the spindle should just push out the other side but it is pretty much stuck. I didn't want to force it without checking with someone who knows. Can I tap it out using a block of wood and a hammer or is there something I am missing? Also, when reinstalling is there a certain procedure on how tight I should tighten the nuts so there is the right amount of load on the bearings or is no play enough? Thank you very much for any answers I receive. Warren

Have your chuck off.
And locknuts and gear also.
Using a soft hammer tap the outboard end towards the tailstock.
There will be a large washer that will come off easily and then the tapered roller that should drop out first.
Bear in mind that the tapered roller brg may be difficult to move as the interference maybe excessive.
You may need to use a bit of force but dont go berserk.
You might consider using a wooden buffer between hammer and spindle to prevent damage.
Protect your ways so nothing can damage them.
The chuck end brg will need to be pressed off and on again (get the best you can afford).
The outboard brg should be a firm sliding fit upon reassembly as this one allows adjustments.
The inboard should have about 1 to 2 thou interference.
Use a quality brg grease and pack the tapers about 2/3rds full.
Adjustment should be so there's no measurable clearance and tending towards minimum preload.
Make sure there's no casting sand in your headstock too.
Cheers Alby

Getting the cones out is another matter.
You'll need a long pin punch and light hammer to tap them out.
Work the punch around so the cones come out square.
I filed two grooves opposite each other for each brg seat for future access as I found them difficult to remove initially.
Cheers Alby

I think Alby means "races"- Here in the states "cones" are what we call the part with the rollers. The ring part of the bearing they ride in are called "races"
Just so there's no confusion
Mark

Thank you for you reply, both of you. OK, sounds like I just need to tap out the spindle and then I might need to tap out the bearings also ( tapping them out straight). You say to use the best bearings I can afford, I was planning on getting the originals from Grizzly... do you have a better idea? Also, what type of grease do you recommend? I wasn't sure if I needed to pack them with grease or just let the oil lubricate them that I put in the oil ways. Warren

Hi Warren, sorry about any confusion.
I can't remember the brg numbers but I got FAG brgs online from Germany.
Maybe you can post inner race dia and outer race diameter and someone will be able to come up with some numbers. I'm on the farm atm and my brg books are at home 50km away. Any quality brg manufacturers like Timken,Skf,FAG etc would be fine. I reckon I paid about a AU$100 for mine.
I dont know what Grizzly stock so realistically can't comment.
I use a lg2 brg grease by skf.
I wouldn't use oil in the brgs as taper roller brgs act like a pump and push the oil out to the biggest diameter of their race. They do it with grease also but not so severely.
Use a way oil or hydraulic oil for your ways.
Cheers Alby

I started a thread on this site last year on the 602 that I haven't been able to get back to. It's called "my g0602 my way" see if you can locate it and have a read, it details most of the work I've done to make it better although its not finished. Hopefully you can use it to avoid the pitfalls I encountered.
Don't forget cleanliness is paramount when playing with brgs.
Cheers Alby

Hi Warren- most bearings have standard numbers, made by many manufacturers. Good bearings are worth the extra money, but they must be installed carefully; and in a clean environment.
Have you determined that you truly need new bearings? Are they showing excessive runout, noisy or rough?
Mark

Hi markba633csi... ( looks like your pretty close to me) Yes, the chuck side bearing is squeeking and it is running a little rough now.. my fault actually. I let the carriage get to close to the chuck and the chuck hit the carriage while running. afterwards it ran a little rough and within a day or two started squeeking. when I put more oil in the ball oiler the squeeking got a little better. I removed the spindle now , I just need to press off the one bearing and replace.. after I obtain the new ones. I figure I should just buy both and replace them both at the same time. I have replaced wheel bearings for cars in the past so I should know the basics, but then you just asked for the one for the car and they gave it to you. On the lathe im not sure of which one to get unless I just order from grizzly's part catalog for the G0752 lathe. Although if theirs are a rather cheaper one I would like to get a better set but not sure on how to find the correct one, etc.

Last edited:
fittterman1, By the way, I tried to find your post "my g0602 my way"...but couldn't come up with it here. Will try some more. Correction, I just found it , its called "my workman (g0602) my way". Wow, your definitely finding a lot to do on your lathe. I need to find those bearings and your problem with the tailstock quill moving is something I need to look at too, it is annoying.

Last edited:
Back