Grizzly G0602/G0752 Spindle replacement

That's cool jwmelvin, Im definitely not an expert but I think they are nice lathes, there are definitely lots out there better but they cost a lot more too. It seems if something isn't up to par on these you can always do an upgrade and improve them alot. Great for hobbyists. Thanks for your interest, I will keep everyone informed on what happens here. Keep your fingers crossed..

Nice, 35 rpm is pretty low... That's why I got the G0752 model for the easy changing of speeds with a dial instead of changing a belt for every little difference I might want. Yea, I agree I would rather change anything that might be bad now instead of fooling with it over and over. I guess this will teach me to check everything before I do something on it. Im glad FOMOCO mentioned it, I was taking it for granted the spindle was probably good. Gonna order it tonight and by Saturday get to that bearing shop to hopefully get the new bearings. Then I will be set to get it back together. I hate having it apart and not being able to use it when I want. : ) Only good thing is im always curious on how they build different things and this way I learn about it, but getting to expensive this way.

yes, 35 rpm is so slow I could fall asleep before i need to move the half nut. i can say for sure the 150 rpm that is the slowest it went prior to having the new motor and controller added was just to fast for threading. i have done it but i prefer about half that speed. I have never crashed my machine and sure dont want to. now if i can just get the damn dro added to my mill i will be set for a while. keep us informed about your change of bearings.

Well, I went to a bearing store today with an old bearing. The guy went back to look for one but they were out of it.They usually keep it in stock but were out. He is ordering 2 for me , should get tomorrow or friday. They will be TimKin Bearings. Hopefully can install this weekend and see how it all works.

Yes, I will be glad to post them here. It should make it easier for the next person to find the correct bearings and then they can order through the net if they don't have a Bearing store near them. Will post as soon as I know them. Warren

Unfortunately because of the bad weather in the mountains (snow, etc) the bearing company didn't get their delivery on Friday.. I will have to wait until Monday for the bearings. Hopefully ]I can get time from work to pick them up Monday. Regarding the bearing part numbers, it seems the number is 32009 for the different manufacturers but each one puts a different extension on the end.. ie 32009/P6 etc. If anyone looks for this nearing you should be able to do a search on the 32009 number and you will get the right size bearing, from there they may have a coupe different extensions Which would be a different class of bearing. Any 32009 bearing should work. I have found different 32009 bearings on the net, all of which were the same size. At any rate I will let you know what numbers of the ones I receive are when I get them. Warren

very wise to purchase quality bearings. replacing them once is going to be all the work you want to do.

very wise to purchase quality bearings. replacing them once is going to be all the work you want to do.

Yes, I agree . I sure don't want to go through this again if I can help it. Thanks for your help on this.

I picked up my Timken bearings today, for anyone interested the part number is 32009X. I will be installing them very soon, hopefully starting tomorrow after work. Will keep you updated on how it goes. I plan on pressing them on tomorrow but I need to get a 2 inch outer diameter pipe with 1/8 inch thickness so it will put the pressure on the inside of the bearing and not any pressure on the roller bearings themselves. That way it is safer for the bearing, would not like to put pressure on the wrong place and mess up the bearings. They might be able to take it but I don't want to take a chance.

OK, today I bought a piece of abs 2 inch pipe and cut it and used hose clamps to squeeze it down to the right size so when I tapped in the bearing it would only put pressure on the inside race of the bearing. I got the outboard one on then put it in the headstock and blocked the chuck side of the spindle so I could "tap" the left side bearing on. I got it close to where it should be, still needs to go another apprx 1/4 inch. I am thinking I can press it the rest of the way by turning the nut on the end until it is in place. Hope this way sounds like the correct way to anyone that knows about it. Was the best way I could think of doing it. Any suggestions, comments feel free to let me know. Am hoping to get it tightened down correctly tomorrow and all together... we will find out I guess. Then after it is all in and seems like its working well I will check the spindle runout, head stock alignment and then headstock to tail stock alignment. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :eek 2:

Back