Grizzly G0602 Lathe

starmetal

Registered
Registered
I recently bought a new Grizzly G0602 lathe 10x22. I thought it was pretty decent, but having a problem with it. In Grizzly's nomenclatures it states it can use 1/2 inch tool bits. Here's where my problem begins. A 1/2 inch tool bit, when you line it up with a center in the chuck or tail stock, is 1/8th inch above center. Let me back up and tell you that this lathe has the turret style tool post that is square. A 3/8 inch tool bit is 1/32 inch off center. A 5/16 inch tool bit is dead on. I informed Grizzly's tech service about this and I got the run around for about a month. The first tech said he would mill off the amount needed from the bottom of the tool rest. Another tech said no don't do that as it is wrong. The last tech said that they have verified problems with the wrong parts put on the lathe. He had me measure the thickness of the bottom of the tool rest and also the thickness of the compression ring which clamps the degree wheel down underneath the compound slide. He gave me the measures and I found that the compression ring was dead on. The bottom of the tool rest was only .006 inch off. I reported those back to him and he said their top man would be giving me a phone call. I never got it. This past Monday I called and got yet another tech and he reviewed my ticket and said Grizzly apologizes and told me that the lathe is suppose to use a 5/16 inch tool bit. I told him for the size of that lathe, particularly the size of the tool rest, that a 5/16 inch bit is a mini lathe tool bit. The large tool rest screws barely clamps a bit that size with two screws and there are three in the rest. I said the same turret tool post on my mini lathe is half the size of the G0602. He said I could grind the bits to fit. They said they can be of no further assistance. Am I missing something? Am I wrong about this? Anyone else have problems with Grizzly's service department? What would you gentle do or recommend?

You shouldn't have to modify a new machine to have it function as advertised. Based on what you stated there is something wrong. It could be any number of places; the headstock, the carriage, the cross slide, the compound, or the 4 way as all of them factor into the overall distance.

I checked the OEM 4 way tool post for my G0602 and it is about .02 below center with a 1/2" tool bit. It sounds like you have the wrong tool post or one which was not manufactured correctly. The thickness of the floor of the 4 way is .393" and for reference, the thickness of my compound assembly is 1.364".

That last tech is talking out his nether region. Both the catalog and the manual state the the lathe has a 1/2" tool capacity. I don't use the 4 way; my first mod was to install a QCTP but the lathe should function as advertised. I would take complete and accurate measurements; distance from the carriage cross slide, top of the compound, and while you're at it distance to the bed from the lathe center line. Send that information to Grizzly.in an e-mail with a return receipt requested. The better you can document the problem, the more likely you are to come to a satisfactory conclusion. If they can't work through this, I would consider asking them to replace the 4 way with a QCTP.

You shouldn't have to modify a new machine to have it function as advertised. Based on what you stated there is something wrong. It could be any number of places; the headstock, the carriage, the cross slide, the compound, or the 4 way as all of them factor into the overall distance.

If you need any additional measurements for comparison. let me know.

RJ good post and quite helpful. I'm going to give you the measures of the bottom of the tool rest and the compression ring that clamps down the degree wheel underneath the compound slide which came directly from Grizzly. Compression ring: .437 (mine is .437 on the button) Bottom of tool rest: .419 ( mine is .424 only .006 larger and in my opinion not enough to make the 1/8 inch I spoke about). I'm going to the shop and measure that compound thickness you wrote. I'll report back....thanks.

Probably not a very satisfying answer, but getting a Quick Change Tool Post solves the problem. Yes it is spending money to fix a problem they should take care of but most people end up wanting one anyway.

In the short term there is nothing wrong with using 5/16" bits on a lathe this size, until you get this straightened out one way or another. It is very common for people to use 3/8" on 10 and 12" lathes. 1/2" doesn't provide a lot of benefit at this size and takes a lot more effort to grind if you are using HSS bits.

Sorry I can't help with the 4 way as far as things to check, as I have little experience using one. There was one on the 9x20 I got, but one of the first things I did was to order a QCTP for it.

Probably not a very satisfying answer, but getting a Quick Change Tool Post solves the problem. Yes it is spending money to fix a problem they should take care of but most people end up wanting one anyway.
I would be careful there. If one of the other components is out of spec., you could end up with a QCTP that doesn't work either. The actual cause of the problem needs to be determined first

The proper QCTP for the 602 is an AXA but it is painful close to the spindle axis with 1/2" tooling. An 1/8" difference would make the AXA unusable with 1/2" tooling. This isn't a great problem with HSS tool bits as 3?8" work well with the 602 but if you want to use 1/2 insert tooling, it would be a problem.

I would be careful there. If one of the other components is out of spec., you could end up with a QCTP that doesn't work either. The actual cause of the problem needs to be determined first

The proper QCTP for the 602 is an AXA but it is painful close to the spindle axis with 1/2" tooling. An 1/8" difference would make the AXA unusable with 1/2" tooling. This isn't a great problem with HSS tool bits as 3?8" work well with the 602 but if you want to use 1/2 insert tooling, it would be a problem.

Good point, I'm assuming an issue with the tool post, but you are right the problem could be elsewhere.

Square turret tool posts are fine for turret lathes, not so much for engine lathes that are not used for production work. One half inch square tool bits are too large for a 10" lathe, and as was pointed out previously, it takes way too much grinding to shape one as opposed to, say a 5/16 or 3/8 bit. A 9 or 10 " lathe can successfully use 1/4" tool bits, at a vastly cheaper cost than larger sizes. The QCTP is the way to go!

Square turret tool posts are fine for turret lathes, not so much for engine lathes that are not used for production work. One half inch square tool bits are too large for a 10" lathe, and as was pointed out previously, it takes way too much grinding to shape one as opposed to, say a 5/16 or 3/8 bit. A 9 or 10 " lathe can successfully use 1/4" tool bits, at a vastly cheaper cost than larger sizes. The QCTP is the way to go!

I agree with you, I'll only be using 5/16 and 3/8.

I have always used 3/8th on my GO752, same as yours except has vfd. They work well. Not sure if mine would take 1/2" I never tried them. Got a QCTP right away. If you want any measurements let me know. Warren

Back