Grizzly G0602z bad lathe ?

garycncmetalwood

Registered
Registered
I picked it up in Bellingham wa two weeks ago, oils from Granger, did the setup, leveled and bolted down, put a new 1/2" tool in holder and parked in front of chuck,,,,,,,,,
at this point i could have cried,,, tool centers about .3 above center of chuck,,,,,,,, tail stock is centered, Heard from others a q.c.t.p. set may help... Had this airlifted from grizzly, mod.# T10166 hahaha it is taller than the 4 post, if installed would be about .4 above center. For grins picked up from H.F. .25" tools and they are about .15 above center.......meanwhile the boring set arrived along with a .75" drill chuck haha. Emailed tech support today will see what they say... Any one else have this problem and if so was their a fix with out milling tools and holders down ???
if no fix will be looking for a good small lathe about this size

Is the height adjuster on the qctp bottomed out and it is still .3 above center?

yes about .4 above center, because the tool holder is thicker on bottom more than the 4 post that came with lathe

I assume you bought it new with the tool holder. The specs call for maximum 1/2" bit, so you should be ok. There has to be a way to adjust the tool holder height depending on what size bits you are using.

yes and it came with a 4 post, only adjustment on these is shim btm to bring tool up. The new qctp can adjust anywhere along its slide, again btm only so far.. I think is is in the cross slide / carriage, attached is pic of it. do not see the doughnut in pic on the drawing they have in manual. Attaching pic

Attachments

• cross slide.jpg
    cross slide.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 135
In your picture you show a blank T-nut resting on the carriage, are you trying to use that in addition to the one that's already in the compound? I'm assuming you have an AXA QCTP since that's what is called for on a 10" lathe. They normally come with the blank that is in your photo which is meant to be cut down to resemble the one in your compound. If the one in the compound will work with your QCTP then there's no need to modify the blank. Trying to sandwich the blank in with what you already have in the compound would give the error you've described. Apologies if this isn't the case.

Cheers,

John

In your picture you show a blank T-nut resting on the carriage, are you trying to use that in addition to the one that's already in the compound? I'm assuming you have an AXA QCTP since that's what is called for on a 10" lathe. They normally come with the blank that is in your photo which is meant to be cut down to resemble the one in your compound. If the one in the compound will work with your QCTP then there's no need to modify the blank. Trying to sandwich the blank in with what you already have in the compound would give the error you've described. Apologies if this isn't the case.

Cheers,

John
I think he has a standard 4 way tool post, like the one in the picture here: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-x-22-Benchtop-Metal-Lathe-with-DRO/G0602Z#

That nylon-looking spacer is odd, I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there. I don't see it anywhere in their manuals. That said, I'm not sure that makes up 1/2 inch, does it?

Can you take a picture of the whole thing assembled with the tool post on it? Perhaps it will be more clear then.

I picked it up in Bellingham wa two weeks ago, oils from Granger, did the setup, leveled and bolted down, put a new 1/2" tool in holder and parked in front of chuck,,,,,,,,,
at this point i could have cried,,, tool centers about .3 above center of chuck,,,,,,,, tail stock is centered, Heard from others a q.c.t.p. set may help... Had this airlifted from grizzly, mod.# T10166 hahaha it is taller than the 4 post, if installed would be about .4 above center. For grins picked up from H.F. .25" tools and they are about .15 above center.......meanwhile the boring set arrived along with a .75" drill chuck haha. Emailed tech support today will see what they say... Any one else have this problem and if so was their a fix with out milling tools and holders down ???
if no fix will be looking for a good small lathe about this size
The 4 way tool post for my 602 measures .892" to the top of a 1/2" tool bit. This is very slightly below the spindle axis. Replacing with a 1/4" tool bit should drop the top surface by .250" and you should be well below the center with no shims.

An AXA QCTP works with the 602 but to use 1/2" tooling, an XL tool holder must be used. I find that the Shars tool holders work the best. No problem using smaller tooling. I have the T10166 set myself.

I have the GO752, same but with vfd, no problem here. I have a axa qcth . But , dont think you need a 1/2 tool for the 602, a 3/8 would work just fine. The 1/2 inch is kind of overkill for this lathe. The rest of it, being a small lathe, is only rigid to a point. The 3/8 is rigid enough for the rest of the lathe. I use 3/8 tools in mine with no real problems cutting up to titanium. Need to make the compound a bit more sturdy though for most parting and use a "T" style partiing tool.

Back