Grizzly G0602z bad lathe ?

The clamp piece should have been made with thicker cross section and cutaways to accommodate the nuts/wrench

I see that RJ, looks stout
my idea was keep it two bolt but beefier
maybe tool steel

Last edited:
Here we are redesigning the OP's lathe LOL
sorry Gary, I know you need a working lathe to fix a lathe

A "T" style cut off blade is one that is shaped like a T. the top is wider than the bottom, that way it wont scrap the the sides all the way down the blade when cutting into the piece of work. Just the top little bit will touch the sides of the cut.

IMO, the 602 and its derivatives are good basic lathes and great value for the price. However, there are number of fixes that can improve the OEM lathe. The compound clamp is generally considered a weak point which is why it was one of my first mods. The QCTP was a no brainer. I also added a reversing gear set for turning left hand threads. An added benefit is the lead screw and associated gearing can be disengaged which reduces wear and tear on those components and increases available power. Other mods include improving the tailstock keying, adding three axis DRO, adding a spindle stop and a carriage stop, and improving the belt tension adjustment. I also made a spanner wrench for removing/installing the chuck, a definite improvement over the tommy bars.
A WIP is an auto release for the half nuts which should provide reproducible stopping to within a thousandth or two when threading and allow threading up to a shoulder and/or high rpm threading. A VFD is being considered as I would like to extend the low rpm range. I would keep the OEM belt drive because of the 4x multiplication in torque.

I measured a total of 4.101" from the top of the saddle ways to my spindle centerline. I put a 1/2" bit in my 4 way tool holder and measured 3.997". Additionally, I measured the individual components that make up the distance. It breaks down like this: 4-way + 1/2" tool bit to top of bit, .903", thickness of cross slide, .902"; thickness of compound and slide, 1.378"; distance from top of cross slide to bottom of compound assembly, .798" for a total of 3.981".

From your photo, it looks like the difference is coming in between the cross slide and the compound. My guess is that a design change was made to increase the clearance to make accessing the clamp bolts easier.

The current specification for the swing over cross slide is 6-1/8" for a top of cross slid to spindle axis of 3.062" which agrees fairly well with my measured 3.080", I would suggest that you make that measurement. If I am correct, you should find that distance to be similar. Then measure the thickness of the cross slide assembly. Again, you should find about 1.38". Measure the thickness of the bottom flange of the 4-way and add 1/2". Yous should be close to .90". If all these are correct, then the only distance left is the distance created by the compound dial. F4rom my SolidWorks models of the 602, the compound dial is .791". The flange on the dial measures .260" and the boss measures .531" I expect that you will find yours to be more like 1" My guess is that the increased the height of the boss.

An old style compound dial, P/N P0602205, should clear up the problem. I have found Grizzly customer service to be very responsive to my issues. They should send you a new dial. It helps to provide them with all of your findings. You can PM me if you need any more help.

Mr. RJSakowski thank you very much,,,,,,I have many years in sheet metal but very limited in lathe work ha, i followed your lead and some measurements are similar but first paragraph 1.0 instead of your .798,, and my dial measures .49 and plus boss .529 your guess was pretty accurate.
last night i contacted Mr. Belfanti and he said his kit would not alter my height control, although now see i should get one from him anyway. Will contact griz. tech. and mention the suspicious measurements

thank you and all the others for your support, I guess this is a start to learning lathe ha

Mr. RJSakowski thank you very much,,,,,,I have many years in sheet metal but very limited in lathe work ha, i followed your lead and some measurements are similar but first paragraph 1.0 instead of your .798,, and my dial measures .49 and plus boss .529 your guess was pretty accurate.
last night i contacted Mr. Belfanti and he said his kit would not alter my height control, although now see i should get one from him anyway. Will contact griz. tech. and mention the suspicious measurements

thank you and all the others for your support, I guess this is a start to learning lathe ha

Looking closer at your photos, it appears that there is a separate disk above the silver colored dial. It may be that this is simply a spacer which was added to make access to the clamp screws easier. If that is the case, removing that spacer may be the solution to your problem. You may have to obtain shorter cap screws. It is fairly easy to check out. Remove the two clamp screws and the whole assembly comes off. There should be three cap screws holding the dial to the compound assembly. Remove those and the dial will come off. Note the position of the dial for reassembly purposes.

Grizzly G0602z
FYI after few weeks with tech support, they said would be mailing me part# P0602205 - GRADUATED DIAL
LATHE unit made in CN MFD: 2019/03
yahoo !! shortly upon arrival was able to use it ha.
i was ****** but where can u get a new usable lathe for this kind of money
THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Back