Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

I ordered 2 of them for X and Y. I think I have a spare 10hp gas engine for the Z axis.

Pratt Burnerd chuck...the 10" is only $100 more than the 8" is there really any reason not to go with the 10"? Other than its 23 lbs heavier. Both list the same minimum diameter 3/16 inch. Spindle bore on the 10" is also 3" which might come in handy.

Pratt Burnerd chuck...the 10" is only $100 more than the 8" is there really any reason not to go with the 10"? Other than its 23 lbs heavier. Both list the same minimum diameter 3/16 inch. Spindle bore on the 10" is also 3" which might come in handy.
Do you see yourself frequently turning items that large?

Big chuck = very heavy = [me] less willing to swap chucks as often as I should to get the right one for the job you are doing.

But I also have back problems, so that might play into my liking using a 6" chuck instead of the 10" 3 jaw and 12" 4 jaw I have used in the past.

I have the 8 1/4" Pratt three jaw as you know. Griz says the chuck weighs 44 lbs., but with the steel back plate on there this thing is crowding 60 lbs. easily. Another 20+ lbs. and I'd be making a chuck carrier that I can use with a shop hoist to lift that puppy. But I'm probably older than you. :)

Hint this is also inbound!

Looks like you got an 8" or larger tailstock. Just a recommendation before you seat that MT2 center. Mill a slot so you can use a drift to remove the center when ever you'll need to. These types of tailstocks do not have a means to pop the center out. On the 6" it's not important as it's an integrated part of the unit.

Img_8271_zpsc6ac4647.jpg

Img_8280_zps32de04b6.jpg

Coolidge:

I visited your future lathe this morning. :D The South Bend version is prettier.... but probably not $6k prettier...

What is interesting is that plastic gear in there. I wonder if it makes it run quieter, or if it is just sacrificial?

IMG_0093_zpsmnlh8bur.jpg
IMG_0092_zpsstnypjba.jpg
IMG_0091_zpsz3dll3be.jpg
IMG_0094_zpsl35v1egy.jpg
IMG_0090_zpsjiex5prq.jpg
IMG_0089_zpswqgjafns.jpg
IMG_0088_zpsr9sefnvm.jpg
IMG_0087_zpswo3hhruj.jpg

Back