Grizzly G0678 8x30: Repair, Scraping and Alignment

nice work Andy!

I'd be interested in hearing about your replumbing of the oil lines. I want to add a couple of lines to oil the X and Y axis nut as well as putting in some check valves. Plus the RHS Z axis way doesn't get as much oil as the other points, so I want to take the knee off and figure out why. Then maybe add some DIY restrictors to some of the lines (eg. the X axis) that are getting too much oil.

nice work Andy!

I'd be interested in hearing about your replumbing of the oil lines. I want to add a couple of lines to oil the X and Y axis nut as well as putting in some check valves. Plus the RHS Z axis way doesn't get as much oil as the other points, so I want to take the knee off and figure out why. Then maybe add some DIY restrictors to some of the lines (eg. the X axis) that are getting too much oil.
Thanks !

When you think about these oil systems, they’re a total loss oiler, and really the purpose of the pump is just to deliver oil as sort of an automated manual oiler. It’s really the surface tension between the oil and ways that holds the oil film in place, while your running it, the oil isn’t pressurized by the pump.

In a production env, sure it’s important to save oil, you wouldn’t want a bunch wasted each time you use the machine. But in a home machine, IMO, as long as the oil gets where it’s supposed to get, you’re fine, and I think it’s ok to have some excess spillage. Any excess oil will simply squeeze out of the ways and drop off.

On the BPs, I think the only restrictors they use are to the lead screw nuts, but I could be wrong.

In my case, I didn’t plumb the lead screw nuts, I think for now I’ll just keep them greased and eventually convert to ball screws and CNC.

Here’s what my oil lines look like now. The real trick was getting oil to the bottom Y ways, as the factory system never delivered any there.43C8F8DA-1F84-4B2D-A146-ABD4C3197131.jpeg

Argh!!! More Grizzly stupidity that I had to repair !.

Got the new one-shot oiler all hooked up, started testing it, and noticed oil gushing out from inside the knee.

I look inside and see two holes gushing oil, WTF

Then I realize, the oil holes for the column ways ARE DRILLED ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

Take a look at the 4th pic here, that’s the back of the knee after scraping, notice the holes. Those are what I’m talking about .

Why???

How was this even working at all? I don’t know, was it always gushing oil? Did they have some bondo on the back that I knocked off cleaning it? Who knows?

So I sure wasn’t going to take the knee off, so what I did was clean off the insides and JB Weld some plates there to cover the holes. After a few tries, seems to hold now.

But wow, that’s just insane drilling the holes through. F431ED2F-65AE-404F-942B-888307878DBE.jpeg23B72C26-F9F7-4C2F-AA18-B6DB40E447BE.jpeg1AA72C18-A115-460F-9C18-2C54AE79E160.jpegEA4735DE-487B-44BD-AD7F-557F4E3F8659.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E5FBAB0-76DF-4627-B03F-4C7317816E07.jpeg
    9E5FBAB0-76DF-4627-B03F-4C7317816E07.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 14
"...painted all the parts using red oxide primer, and catalyzed Rustoleum that I mixed myself..."

Quick open question, but wouldn't some type of 2 part epoxy based primer/paint be more appropriate for this application?

//Apologies if this was discussed before but this is a long thread. Very well done though!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

E0stir look at the date he wrote. July 16, 201. The last time he wrote on the forum was November 2021- Not sure he is still a member?

Back