Grizzly G0704 Cnc Conversion

cozmogeek

Registered
Registered
I got a grizzly g0704 yesterday and am planning to convert it to cnc as soon as I can. I don't have any metal machining experience so this should be very interesting. Stay tuned for pictures and videos.
I got Hoss' conversion info and hope that will be enough for me to figure this out.

Tp4JNDS.jpg

3D printed temporary stepper mounts
coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Last edited:
Should be in interesting build, I'll be watching.:encourage:

ooh, that's really cool using 3D printing to make some of the parts!

I got a grizzly g0704 yesterday and am planning to convert it to cnc as soon as I can. I don't have any metal machining experience so this should be very interesting. Stay tuned for pictures and videos.
I got Hoss' conversion info and hope that will be enough for me to figure this out.

Tp4JNDS.jpg

3D printed temporary stepper mounts
coP71rk.jpg

I see the word "temporary" in your post. Are you using these mounts for set up?

Tom S.

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

Tp4JNDS.jpg

coP71rk.jpg

The theory is to use the plastic mounts to get it cnc'd faster then use it to make the metal mounts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The theory is to use the plastic mounts to get it cnc'd faster then use it to make the metal mounts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear what you are saying but will the plastic mounts be rigid enough? I'd be concerned that the mounts will distort when you load the motors during a cut. A couple of implications would be inaccurate parts and possible damage to your motor couplings and/or ball screws.

Just my thoughts. You may be successful. Let us know how it turns out.

Tom S.

I don't think it will be a problem unless he is trying to take really heavy cuts. Should be plenty fine for making the parts out of metal for the conversion which won't need super critical tolerance.

Good luck, its a long arduous journey but worth it in the end!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Looking good. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tom S.

Just curious, if your Grizzly has acme screws like mine, will you convert those to ball screw if going to CNC? Or can CNC programs take the slack into account and compensate to get the accuracy you want?

Back