Grizzly G0704 Cnc Conversion

You know the saying: happy wife = happy life, right?

I saw you're running LinuxCNC, right? Is that parallel port or USB? If you're running USB, what hardware did you use? If you used Hoss' recommended breakout board, that's a parallel interface.

I think I need to cross that bridge sooner or later, and this seems as good a time as any.

I'm using parallel with the rj45 breakout board. I think I'm going to change to a faster PC (my previous desktop probably) with a parallel add in card because this one already has issues keeping up and I'm not even changed to the ballscrews yet.

This old machine was my desktop before the previous machine I was using (Athlon 64 dual core). It is the only system in my house with a parallel port. If I crank the jog wheel on the USB pendant too fast it loses its mind.

I'm using parallel with the rj45 breakout board. I think I'm going to change to a faster PC (my previous desktop probably) with a parallel add in card because this one already has issues keeping up and I'm not even changed to the ballscrews yet.

This old machine was my desktop before the previous machine I was using (Athlon 64 dual core). It is the only system in my house with a parallel port. If I crank the jog wheel on the USB pendant too fast it loses its mind.

Sounds like mine. It's a 2.4 GHz P4 that I put together around '04. I spent some time making sure as little as possible would run on it - not even go into screensaver because I've heard of that causing glitches. I keep it off the home network and carry files out to it on a USB drive.

Edit to add: I think we're in the same position of having started out doing "phase 1" and are converting over to phase 2. In my case, I started out thinking I like the idea of having the mill with hand wheels, so I can just walk up to it and trim something. That requires lead screws. Some thinking about it made me realize, I never do that on my Sherline, so why would I start now? That's when I started leaning toward ball screws.

Looking at the hardware, it seems that the standoffs are a little shorter, but the motor mounts are the same. The Y axis spacer is the same. Am I missing anything here?

Last edited:
I decided to just build the phase 3 parts instead of finishing phase 2. I picked up the rest of the metal to make it all yesterday. This machine is on wifi right now actually so that's probably not helping anything either. However it probably isn't worth messing with when I can just get a parallel port card for like $20 and change to a much faster computer (3ghz quad core) that is otherwise collecting dust.

The issue is the timing of the threads in Linuxcnc. I have it turned almost all the way "slow" and it still loses it when I jog the z axis too fast. I get a joint following error which if you're using steppers means the PC couldn't keep up. It's not going to work at all with the ballscrews judging by the speeds in hoss' videos.

The PC I've been using to run Mach3 has been slowly going downhill. I think it's the power supply, but every time I start it, it takes about 4 or 5 restarts for everything to come up. I'll see the light in the optical mouse turn on, then go off. Once it starts and gets to Windows with everything working, it stays solid as a rock, but it doesn't inspire confidence. I think I'm going to swap it for another copy of the same system (from '04). Just take the other computer, which seems to be solid, and swap hard drives with the one that has Mach3 on it.

I have to say that Hoss' DVD seems to have all the information, but it's not organized well. He includes things like a drawbar wrench, which made me wonder what it was for. The Phase 2 section has all the belt drive components for the Z axis, but doesn't say you can't use the direct drive method. I found that somewhere else (I think!). Some more work on a big picture of what you're doing, more like workflow and not step-by-step directions, but more overview of what you need and how you get there, in one place, would make it more helpful. I'm not even sure there's a single place to go read what the difference is between the phases 2 and 3. The other side of that disorganization is that if you email Hoss, you'll generally have an answer in a few hours.

Yeah I'm totally lost doing this too. I don't think this was meant for beginners at all. The info is great but could be a lot better.

Yeah I'm totally lost doing this too. I don't think this was meant for beginners at all. The info is great but could be a lot better.

Well, I just ordered my double nut ball screws from Chai, so I have a few days to figure out what I need to do. Looks like a few small pieces of aluminum make, but not a big deal.

Are you implementing the oiling system?

Well, I just ordered my double nut ball screws from Chai, so I have a few days to figure out what I need to do. Looks like a few small pieces of aluminum make, but not a big deal.

Are you implementing the oiling system?
I haven't really thought about it yet. What happens if I don't? Obviously the balls need lubricating.

Back