Grizzly G0709 threading problems

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
When Keith Fenner redid his lead screws, he simply manufactured new ones.......made to fit perfectly, he also replaced 80% of a leadscrew !

The first of a 5 part series:

Earl

Active User
Registered
Only the threads are worn so I am only replacing the threaded part of the lead screw. The original lead screw is close to 5/8 and I am replacing the threads with 304 stainless. A bit smaller but I have it and I will make brass nuts that will fit inside a newly made steel nut. If I used 5/8 threaded rod, the brass nuts would not fit. I could have made new ones but I am lazy and dont have a gear cutter for it.

Earl

Active User
Registered
Only the threads are worn so I am only replacing the threaded part of the lead screw. The original lead screw is close to 5/8 and I am replacing the threads with 304 stainless. A bit smaller but I have it and I will make brass nuts that will fit inside a newly made steel nut. If I used 5/8 threaded rod, the brass nuts would not fit. I could have made new ones but I am lazy and dont have a gear cutter for it..
Got the left hand acme reamer today and started on my leadscrew project. If I like how this turns out, I will replace the brass insert shown on the new lead screw with bronze. I had no idea that bronze was so expensive. A 12 inch piece of 3/4 bronze is about $40 to $50. that nut on the left is the one that Grizzly sent me without the mounting screw hole. 40 bucks plus shipping. They are getting that one back.

new lead screw.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock