Grizzly G0750G metal lathe preliminary observations

Billooms: Hopefully you've had your lathe up and running for awhile now, wondering what your opinions are about its machining capabilities and precision. Will probably be buying a new lathe in Sept. Trying to decide between the 0750 and the 4003. Thanks Roger

I'm very happy with the precision and capabilities now that I'm over the initial "fix the problems" mode. If I had to do it again, I would seriously consider the 4003 just because it's been around longer, has the bugs worked out, and parts are readily available. Also, you don't have to change end gears on the 4003 for doing standard US threads. On the 0750, you have to change end gears a lot when doing various threads. On the other hand, I like the enclosed gear box on the 0750 (I also do wood turning in my shop and there's a lot of wood dust floating around to get in any open gears).

With the economy being such as it is there are far too many QUALITY machines available to even imagine buying a headache.
Not to mention I would have one helluva time ever having faith in the accuracy and repeatability with the aggravation it has given you.
Bummer deal.

Make a sheet metal baffle for the oil vent, what you are getting is likely splash from the gears spinning. The aquarium airstone idea is a good one.

Not sure if I mentioned this but, you can drill a small hole inside the allen hex of the fill plug on the top of the unit (smallest hole you can drill will do fine) and glue a larger piece of felt in the hex area. Works fine...

Ray

With the economy being such as it is there are far too many QUALITY machines available to even imagine buying a headache.
Not to mention I would have one helluva time ever having faith in the accuracy and repeatability with the aggravation it has given you.
Bummer deal.

Make a sheet metal baffle for the oil vent, what you are getting is likely splash from the gears spinning. The aquarium airstone idea is a good one.

Bummer deal.

" there is no vent in the cover and no visible vent in the headstock"
There's no vent.

Billooms, are you the same woodturner I see at the Utah Woodturning Symposium? I'm the Dave that does turned bat house ornaments as works in the gallery.
At any rate I'm glad your problems are resolved. I recently acquired a g4003g that I just love. The deciding factor was the gear changes required on the g0750g for US threads.

Dave

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Back