Grizzly G0752 lathe

DaveSWPE

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, my 1st post here. I'm having trouble (no luck) threading with this machine. I haven't been able to to get my lathe to repeat the the thread lead on subsequent passes. The mated gears for threading ( #127 & #120 ) have a lot of radial slop to each other, so I'm going to bolt / pin them to eliminate this slop. Do you think I'm on the right track here or should I look elsewhere? Any advise is appreciated!
Thanks for listening

I am no expert, but I take a stab! Are you trying to use both gears? They are normally used together if you are doing
metric threading, in which case its my understanding, you dont want to disengage between passes. On my lathe, I
just turned the two 127/120 around so one is not even being used for standard threads 4 to 112. When they are used
together, I am assuming you have them 'keyed',which is supposed to eliminate any slop between them!
Might want to discuss in more detail what you are trying to do!!

Hope this helps
cheers

The lash in the gears means nothing if you are threading in one direction only, The only thing that will cause changes in the position is something in the gear train between the spindle and lead screw losing index, a clutch or shear pin on the screw are likely culprits.

If indeed you have chosen the wrong gears the lead will be off but it will be consistently off, it will not change the timing between passes.

Last edited:
I am no expert, but I take a stab! Are you trying to use both gears? They are normally used together if you are doing
metric threading, in which case its my understanding, you dont want to disengage between passes. On my lathe, I
just turned the two 127/120 around so one is not even being used for standard threads 4 to 112. When they are used
together, I am assuming you have them 'keyed',which is supposed to eliminate any slop between them!
Might want to discuss in more detail what you are trying to do!!

Hope this helps
cheers
These gears are used together for inch threading on grizzlys, with your replies and other threads I've learned several possible routes to pursue. I will post my progress / lack of progress. Thank-you everyone, talk to you soon.
southwestpowerequipment

Metric threads on imperial lathes must be performed without disengaging the lead screw.
Use of the 127t gear indicated metric threading.

These gears are used together for inch threading on grizzlys
I would review your manual again, as it can be a bit confusing, but look at figure 62 on page 46. Inch threading, you only use the 127 tooth gear not the 120. That would cause you to have the threading problem described if you were using both. If you were doing metric threading which is shown in the next figure 63 in your manual you do use the 127 to 120 gear, but not for inch. The gears most be fixed relative to each other. If you are having a problem with the this, than I would contact Grizzly if your lathe is still under warranty. As others have pointed out, when cutting metric threads, when you disengage the half-nut and backup the carriage, you cannot using the threading dial to pickup the thread again. I think Tom Liptons example for cutting metric threads and some of the others that I tried recently are for the more experience machinist, and the results may vary based on your skill level. I tried them, found them cumbersome and easy to make an error relative to leaving the half-nut engaged. Matter of opinion and it is also machine specific.
gears.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's input on my problem, thank-you mksj for suggesting I look more closely at the charts on my lathe - until now, I didn't notice the difference in position of the -b- gear. DUH! I'm going to pull my head out of a very dark place and try again with the gears in the correct position.
Thanks again.

I made the same mistake when threading on my G0752 also. The diagram and manual is confusing and less than obvious at first.

-Denzil

Back