Grizzly G0768 8 X 16 Lathe

A couple of people have mentioned the PM1022. Does Matt still offer them? When I looked into getting one last year, he had none in stock and wasn't sure when or even if he would get more of them, so I bought something else. I don't find them on his web site, either. Looked like a fine machine for a home hobbyist, too.

Tom

Edit: Found the PM1022 under the PM1030 link on QMT's web site.

Me thinks Matt needs some help with his web presence. It's very hard to run a business like his and keep up a web site up to date. I spend 20 hours or so a month working the site for our local drag strip. Plus Facebook. Not the least counting the technical aspects.

I agree with your evaluation of the PM website. If you google Precision Matthews there are a number of links to old and outdated pages. It takes a bit of digging to uncover what the current offerings are. At least I think those are the current offerings.......

Hello,
New to this site but I want to mention I have G0768 and the best item about the lathe itself is the tailstock, it has a lock handle instead of the wrench and bolt design. Of course it comes with all of the basic items Grizzly always provides with their lathes. Do I wish I had purchased a 10" lathe? Yes I do, I also wish I had the money for the 10" lathe. I did have one issue with the lathe so far. I like to make pens and I ran across a good deal on some pattern welded round stock and while drilling the thru hole for the pen barrel the lathe could not do it. I don't know if it is because the metal had the nickel alloy in it or not. But it got about 1.5" in and the drill started to wander up and that was that, end of drilling. Fortunately I was able to finish the drilling at work on a clausing 12x40 lathe. I have not really used it much since then. My only other complaint? Speed and feed. The slowest feed on it goes pretty fast for my liking. I wish I could slow the feed down by at least half of what it is now. I also had a hard time with the pattern welded steel getting a good finish and that was with new carbide insert tooling (not Grizzlys) on the tools. They were centered properly for height. Is it better than the 7x14? Most definitely. I have not tried any threading on it yet because I have the Clausing at work and I don't have to mess with change gears there. I know, just where is enough enough? I would say if you can go with the 10" model but if you can't I don't think the 8" will cause to much disappointment.
PatrickB.
p.s. get the PM machine if you can, I think they are built a bit better.

Did you center drill before you used the drill? Were you retracting the drill to clear the chips while cutting?

WRT finish: you might try cutting with HSS instead of carbide. Generally, carbide requires a lot of pressure and a lot of speed, and a smaller lathe deflects too much when you apply that much pressure.

HSS bits are very cost effective ($5 for a HSS blank) and can be used over and over and over. You have to learn to grind your own. Barry Young (one of the contributors here) has an awesome set of videos on the subject:
Grinding HSS Lathe Tools - Part 1: Grinding a RH Tool

If you don't want to grind your own, you can buy indexible HSS from AR Warner:
http://www.arwarnerco.com/c-12-turning.aspx

Thanks for the input on the Grizzly G0768. I think after all the comments I have decided on a 10". Probably the PM.
Are there any reviews available on the PM 1022V or 1030V?

I've searched this site and the web and have not come up with much. Any suggestions? I'll also post this on the PM forum.

tmarks11,
Yes to all of your questions and was even using cutting fluid too.
PatrickB

There isn't much at all on the PM1030V out there. I have one on order, Matt said 3 to 4 weeks out, lots of people recommending the lathe but no one seems to have one. I hope it is all "they" say, Matt thinks his machine is the best bang for your buck in the 10x30 machine. Again I hope so.

I would like reports on them myself (hopefully good ones).

Jerry

Jerry,

Didn't read your reply here until I sent one to you in the PM forum. Hopefully we will get some information prior to your lathe arriving, but if not, you may be in a position to become a pioneer and be the first to post an in depth review. At least I hope so......do you have a good camera????

Jim

Back