Grizzly G0768 8 X 16 Lathe

Jim, I don't even have a camera anymore, I gave my Nikon to my son to use he has three daughters. I can't give a meaningful in depth review due to my lack of experience but my "Mentor" is a retired machinist turned gunsmith. I will try to post my impression and his thoughts on it.

Jerry

That's all I can ask for. Thanks. It has to be like waiting for Christmas......can't come soon enough.

I don't hold my breath like I use to maybe this is what they call maturity (too old to care much). I only wish, I want it now.

I really need the time to start getting ready for it. I think it will take up a lot of room.

Thanks for the reply and input. Space and budget are the two things that lead me to the G0768. The 7x are too small and I think this might fit the bill. It has the variable speed the larger ones don't offer unless you bump the budget quite a bit. It will be used for general projects, nothing specific, but every once in a while I'll find a need for a lathe and this seemed like a good compromise. Hence my interest. I'm really surprised at the lack of information on this lathe and that concerns me. I was hoping to find out about it's accuracy, or lack thereof, and it's reliability.

Once again thanks for the input and hopefully others will chime in on their experience with the G0768.

I have the G0768 and use it quite a bit. The lack of reviews is self-perpetuating as this thread shows.

The lathe is made by Weiss as the VM210 variable speed model. Of course everyone puts their own label on it so you have to be resourceful to find relevant info but it is quite widely used (just not so much in the US). I can't post links yet but if you search "AMA210VG Lathe 8x16" you'll get just one example.

I'll also point out the PM1033V people are recommending is the Weiss VM250. A bigger brother to the G0768.

I gather you are no longer considering the G0768 but if you are then I'm happy to answer questions from first hand use.

Thank you for the information and the offer to answer questions on the G0768. I'm leaning towards the PM 1022 but all options are still on the table at this time.

I have the G0768 and use it quite a bit. The lack of reviews is self-perpetuating as this thread shows.

The lathe is made by Weiss as the VM210 variable speed model. Of course everyone puts their own label on it so you have to be resourceful to find relevant info but it is quite widely used (just not so much in the US). I can't post links yet but if you search "AMA210VG Lathe 8x16" you'll get just one example.

I'll also point out the PM1033V people are recommending is the Weiss VM250. A bigger brother to the G0768.

I gather you are no longer considering the G0768 but if you are then I'm happy to answer questions from first hand use.

Hi, I am considering the G0768 and see that the Grizzly site and the specs on the lathe and in the manual show it as having a threading range (inch) of 9 TPI - 44 TPI with no 8 TPI. Is this actually the case? The Weiss 210V can do an 8 TPI thread. Have you tried to do an 8 on your Grizzly?

Thanks,
Doug

I have a G0768, i bought it last March/2016. I am a total novice but I think it is a very well made little lathe with standard features such as the locking tailstock, variable speed reversing, metal gears etc. In my limited use to date I'm quite happy the only drawback on a lathe this size is the spindle bore. Also there was a little more backlash in the apron gears than what I would have liked.

I have a G0768, i bought it last March/2016. I am a total novice but I think it is a very well made little lathe with standard features such as the locking tailstock, variable speed reversing, metal gears etc. In my limited use to date I'm quite happy the only drawback on a lathe this size is the spindle bore. Also there was a little more backlash in the apron gears than what I would have liked.
Thanks Garth - I'm glad you like it. Have you done any threading? I was trying to figure out if it could do an 8 TPI thread. I have a wood lathe and one of the things that I want to do is to be able to make some things for that.

Brand new to the forum and looking at my first lathe. Have had some experience, though long ago with simple turning and now looking to add a lathe to my garage for small projects. I've looked at the 7 x lathes and want to try something a bit bigger. As most say, buy the biggest you can afford and you won't regret it.

As a result the G0768 seems to offer quite a bit but there just isn't much information available online. Can anyone that has one give me some feedback as to their experience with this. How is the runout, how about the electronics, reliability, etc. I have watched the YouTube videos by BobN and those are very informative but would like some more information if possible.

Thanks in advance.

I've had the G0768 for almost a year now- as first purchase. Came OK and there are a few utube videos that give some limited info. Has worked well considering my lack of experience- and I've got limited space so larger beds and swings were not an option. I also didn't want to spend months rehabilitating an old belt drive unit.

First thing was go to a QCTP, and modified a guys utube method of turning down a large bolt to compress the TP onto the compound without changing the stud or grinding the boss off:

As a first purchase (again with limited experience and space) - I would still get this model Grizzly. Good customer service. But now looking at small mills, and thinking about the PM-25 rather than the G0704 due to the motor and belt drive- also the base construction appears to be more substantial, but thats a different topic?

Back