Grizzly G4003G backlash

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I almost started to believe people badmouthing chinese lathes when the x-slide backlash on my G4003G suddenly opened up to .045". I took apart the slide and internally it looked brand new. Low and behold, the bolt securing the lead screw nut had loosened. I tightened it up and I'm right back to .008" backlash. Not bad for a 6 year old machine! Luv my Grizzly!

I just discovered that the backlash in the hand wheel on my 12x36 cross slide comes from two places.
The first and obvious place is from the lead screw nut which is adjustable. After adjusting the split nut to the best fit possible there was still about .015'' play in the hand wheel. This 'residual' backlash comes from clearance of the two thrust washers just behind the hand wheel. I reduced the hand wheel mounting spacer gradually until backlash was .003''. Feels much better now.

I did what OP did, but went a bit further tightening it up so there is a hint of friction on the handwheel. My BL is in the 0.005 range like SP and the feel on the handwheel is much better.

Back