Grizzly G4003G cross slide handle vibrates counter clock wise because of weight of handle

I have to wonder if there is not enough room to add a slipring like on bigger machines. I'm referring to a fingered engagement with a spring that dis-engages the handle when not in use. Sorry, slipring isn't the right word - but splined is misleading as well.

Mine is a G0773 (12 x 27). The cross slide has the slip feature. Seems that would be the best direction to go.

When I replaced the the handwheel on my SBL13 I did not make the time to fix it right. I needed to use the lathe immediately so I just tie wrapped some wheel balancing weight opposing the handle for balance. Not so pleasing to the eyes, but it works. There are some more weights on the backside not showing.

Has anyone ever seen balanced hand wheels mentioned in the specs for lathes or seen them listed as an available option?

Check your gibs. When I do this I disconnect the leadscrew from the crosslide and push the crosslide by hand. This way there is no mechanical advantage. Make yourself a lockdown bolt for the crosslide that is conveniant to use. Much easier and a sure thing over making a balanced handle that may or may not work.

Won't tightening the cross-slide lock screw every cut remedy the problem?

Sometimes we look to hard for answers. Just re read and thought more about the question. Are you not setting the weight of the handle on the right side by using the compound to zero out when the handle is on the right side. The weight on the other side will do it. This way you d have to feed in for it to move.

Back