Grizzly G4003G steady rest too small; options?

I have a Grizzly G4002. Some time ago I did a modification to the steady rest to adapt cam followers as rollers. Cam followers are a better approach than ball bearings because they can handle a much higher load and are designed for this type of application. This mod also allows a 2" diameter shaft to fit. I don't know how similar the 4003 is to the 4002, but the approach may be similar. You can find a .pdf file as a post I did April 3, 2017 that describes the design. Hope this helps.

@Cobra - thanks a ton for the specs; at some point I'll definitely have to make a set like those. If only I had a mill...

@RodSME- thanks for sharing; the cam followers seem like a better idea. And that's quite the workholding setup in your write-up. :)

I got the job done the other night just by cutting down the fingers as much as I could while leaving enough thread. Thanks for all the great suggestions! The ram and press adapter are fixed and re-installed in the shop press; back in business!

Those came out nice @epanzella. Easier than the bearing route. In doing some other reading it does seem like bearings are not a great idea (generally) - could use light press fit tips in brass/bronze/delrin.

If modding the OEM fingers: could just chop off the notched section for the bearing (instead of the backside). Then you'd maintain a good thread engagement and bore at the end can be cleaned up for a press fit insert. No mill needed.

I also read a hint where the individual put a through-hole in the top slider and filled the finger with a bit of oil; said it helped to constantly lube the area. Neat idea.

Those came out nice @epanzella. Easier than the bearing route. In doing some other reading it does seem like bearings are not a great idea (generally) - could use light press fit tips in brass/bronze/delrin.

If modding the OEM fingers: could just chop off the notched section for the bearing (instead of the backside). Then you'd maintain a good thread engagement and bore at the end can be cleaned up for a press fit insert. No mill needed.
I thought about shortening the original fingers but there was no length that would allow me to use the full capabilty of the steady rest with a single set of fingers. With the two sets I can grab stock from 1/4 inch all the way up to the full bore of the steady as the short fingers will withdraw until they are flush.

I had a similar problem with my rest , I welded about 1 inch of treaded bore to the out side of the frame, that way I could back the finger out further, allowing me to use the full diameter of the frame bore

I made another set of fingers that were shorter. They also work in my follower rest. I didn't bother duping the rollers. The rounded ends work fine.
View attachment 316965View attachment 316966
Can you share how you made these?

I'm fairly new to machining but I'm in desperate need of this type of modification so I can mount a large bearing in the rest to be used with delrin bushings with tapered inside diameters.

Thanks,

Phil

Can you share how you made these?

I'm fairly new to machining but I'm in desperate need of this type of modification so I can mount a large bearing in the rest to be used with delrin bushings with tapered inside diameters.

Thanks,

Phil
Pretty easy. Just take one of the existing fingers out and copy it with the exception of it being short enough to fit your application. The original fingers had a metric thread but I didn't feel like messing with change gears. My G4003G will cut all imperial threads as is but metric requires some gear changes. That's an old post but my GOTO thread is 1/2 x 20 as each full revolution is 50 thou.

Back