Grizzly G4016 - The upgrades begin...

C_Spray

Registered
Registered
After looking at lots of used lathes online, I came across a one-owner 2001 G4016 just 8 miles away. Super-low hours; there appears to be far more dust than rust or wear. $2600 was more than I wanted to pay, but there's no shipping or sales tax, plus I can have it now... ;)
G4016.jpg

I have a number of light projects of my own, but plan to offer local lathe services as a hobby/money-maker (I'm retired). DRO and a good QCTP setup are at the top of the list once I get through cleaning the machine and checking the setup. What worthwhile improvements/upgrades have other owners installed?

Only the Grizzly-supplied generic standard parts: 6" 3-jaw, 8" 4-jaw, 12" plate, travel rest, 4-position non-QC tool post, 1/2" x MT3 drill chuck, HSS and carbide MT3 dead centers, MT3 live center, MT3 to MT5 sleeve. There should be a travel rest, too - I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow. It hasn't been used much in the last few years. It was purchased in 2001, but the owners manual and record were lost in a house fire. The manual I downloaded is a 2005 version, so I'm not 100% sure of what should be there. I ran it yesterday, and all speeds and feeds seemed very smooth in both directions.

Good to hear you are getting all the factory accessories. They are expensive to add on to the cost of the lathe, and I did not see them in the photo. $2600 is a fair price with all the accessories and in that good of condition.

In the end, I didn't get the drill chuck, MT5 to MT3 sleeve, or live center, but I'm OK with that. Cleaned up the machine, dismantled/cleaned/adjusted the gibs on the cross and compound slides and cleaned the 3-jaw chuck and ways. Chucked up a previously-machined piece, and it all seems to run pretty darn true. Need to get an indicator on it.

What are the general sentiments on buying the basics to get going: QCTP and holders, boring bar, cutting tools, machinists level, ID snap gauges, indicator and base, drill chuck, live center, DRO system (maybe). It would be nice to do it all in one-stop shopping. Just looking for home shop quality... CDCO? McMaster? Grainger? Other?

Thanks again for the welcome.

In the end, I didn't get the drill chuck, MT5 to MT3 sleeve, or live center, but I'm OK with that.
Those are the lower dollar items. They are also the ones you really would like to be accurate, and the ones that come with the machines are often lacking in accuracy. Find some decent ones. The faceplate, chucks, and steady and follower rests are the high dollar accessories that should come with the lathe. Accuracy means little with those items, aside from the 3 jaw chuck, which is what it is. You will need to test the chucks to see what you have there.

Initially, the 3-jaw looks reasonably true. In the process of cleaning the machine, I've discovered that it's really low on oil, so I won't run it again until I get it topped up. As far as the accessory purchases go, I'll have to keep doing some research. What seems obvious to me is that machine setup can be far important than the brand of parts...

Keep in mind that you only need to be really accurate on jobs that really need to be accurate. There is always an acceptable tolerance and it should always be considered. Just about all of us in this hobby tend to value accuracy more than is really necessary for nearly all the work that we actually do. That does not really cause problems beyond wasted time and wasted money spent on producing more accuracy than we need. The other issue is that no matter what the accuracy capability of the machine or tooling is, the work will still only be as accurate as the nut behind the wheels who is doing the work... Very fine and accurate work can be and is done on poor machines by talented machinists. Poor work is often made by poor or lazy machinists using highly accurate tools. Try to keep a realistic balance even when there is heavy pressure to get the shiniest and most expensive stuff.

Last edited:
In other words, keep my OCD under control... I get it completely. I spent 30 years in auto racing, the first 10 in hands-on roles. I learned not to chase tolerances when unnecessary from some very talented veterans. I also learned that microns matter in some cases. Nothing I'll be doing will need uber tolerances; I would have picked a different machine in that case. I just want to make sure that I've handled the basics, and don't want to introduce any unnecessary variables into the equation. Chasing tolerances is a classic exercise in the law of diminishing returns on $$$. "Nice" stuff will be fine.

Ordered a live center, keyless chuck with integral MT3 shank, BXA toolpost set, 1/2" tool bits & holders and a few other goodies from from CDCO. Feedback on their stuff seemed pretty favorable... I also ordered a Ditron DRO60-3V from Toolmann; he had a special on 3-axis displays for $20 less than the 2-axis display, so I'll be all set if I add a scale to the tailstock or buy a mill.

The seller also called to say that he had found the live center, drill chuck and MT5/MT3 spindle sleeve!

First project refurbishing some billet pulleys came out great:
IMG_4743.jpg
Pulleys_20171214.JPG

Back