Grizzly G4016 - The upgrades begin...

Nice set up , looks like it operates quite well . Good job on the pulleys . What do you think of the tool post you bought ? Looks good in the picture. I have an old model from enco that's a weird set up it works but the holders are almost nonexistent. I guess really now I've finally got a mill I can make some. If I ever get out of pain.

Thanks, Silverbullet. I'm still working on adjusting all the play out of things; gibs, backlash, etc., so I haven't tried any heavy cuts yet. I bought the CDCO toolpost (actually a Bostar) based on the review at the top of the "Machine Accessories" forum. The post and holders all look very nice, but I haven't machined the base to fit my compound slide yet. The pulleys looked even better after a trip through my powder coating oven:
PulleyWP_20171218.JPG
I've also started truing up some vintage go-kart wheels, but need to sort out a chatter/harmonic issue. Maybe my new toolpost and (sharp) cutting tools will solve that:
IMG_4758.JPG

Hard to tell with chatter,, Gibbs and flex in smaller lathes at times make it tough to do. Bigger chuck jaws might help to stop the singing too.

CDCO/Bostar toolpost and holders work great. Just ordered 3 more 250-201 holders to mount all my tools. Re-installed to tool tray made by the previous owner, but in a different position; may have to cut it down a bit. Overall, very happy with the lathe and getting comfortable with it.18F3C022-4135-4DC9-8782-A06C11E4C929.jpeg18F3C022-4135-4DC9-8782-A06C11E4C929.jpeg

I've good and bad, mainly bad honestly, about CDCO's stuff. I would go with a Phase II+ qctp set. You can catch them on sale at MSC or other places sometimes. I think a Machtach is a worthy little $50 investment. It'll let you know your spindle speed or SFM as well as how steady your motor is holding. Other than that....I saw for the important things like measuring tools to buy once, cry once. IOW, don't buy junk, or used but that's IMO. Good luck with the machine and welcome to the site!

So far, I've got no complaints about the CDCO stuff for the light work that I've been doing. Tackling a piece of 304 stainless has raised a number of issues regarding the rigidity and freeplay in the lathe, however. Cutoff work seems especially scary, so I'm embarking on a thorough investigation of gibs and ways. I think that I've successfully honed and adjusted the compound and cross-slide gibs; now I have to look at the carriage.

Keeping a close eye on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook Marketplace and BidSpotter!

So far, I've got no complaints about the CDCO stuff for the light work that I've been doing. Tackling a piece of 304 stainless has raised a number of issues regarding the rigidity and freeplay in the lathe, however. Cutoff work seems especially scary, so I'm embarking on a thorough investigation of gibs and ways. I think that I've successfully honed and adjusted the compound and cross-slide gibs; now I have to look at the carriage.

Keeping a close eye on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook Marketplace and BidSpotter!
By eliminating the compound, a solid tool post made a huge difference in terms of rigidity on my lathe.

Back