Grizzly G8688 Tailstock moves as I tighten it to the ways

Jon K

Active User
Registered
Hey guys - maybe I am doing this wrong. I am new to machining. I am using a center drill on the tailstock and as I tighten the 17mm nut to hold the tailstock to the ways, I see it kind of jack up on the angled edge (closest to operator) way side and the center drill shift from center. Is there an orientation on the underside bracket that I have backwards or something?

Thanks,
Jon

Probably need pictures, Jon. We're a visual group, in general.

As Tony said a picture would help. Have you taken the tailstock off to see if there is something under it? It sounds like something is drawing it to one side.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Are you sure its pulling off centre, and not just centering itself as the clamp tightens?
x2 for a pic

cheers Phil

Thanks to Nelson we have the manual for this lathe in the Downloads section under referance. I want thru it and found nothing that could cause what you said is happening. Again a picture in this case is probably the only way we can see to help you.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Hey guys - maybe I am doing this wrong. I am new to machining. I am using a center drill on the tailstock and as I tighten the 17mm nut to hold the tailstock to the ways, I see it kind of jack up on the angled edge (closest to operator) way side and the center drill shift from center. Is there an orientation on the underside bracket that I have backwards or something?

Thanks,
Jon

Yes, that lathe is a regular 7 x 12 and the plate that secures the tailstock to the ways is a pretty crude device.

Here's a pic of it in the wrong position:

tsadj_01.jpg

It needs to be turned 90 degrees so that it will fit snugly into the slot under the bed ways:

tsadj_00.jpg

On the top of the plate should be an oblong piece welded to it which will fit between the ways, and that correctly positions the wider bottom piece under the ways.

With the plate in the slot and the nut loose, make sure the tailstock can slide easily, then snug up the nut.

M

tsadj_01.jpg tsadj_00.jpg

Could someone tell me where that reference section is?

Anyhow, not sure how this TS works but, many have a metal plate that straddles the undersides of the ways and gets pulled-up by the tightening bolt. If that's how this one works, maybe the plate is not seated right and only catching on one of the ways.

Could someone tell me where that reference section is?

Anyhow, not sure how this TS works but, many have a metal plate that straddles the undersides of the ways and gets pulled-up by the tightening bolt. If that's how this one works, maybe the plate is not seated right and only catching on one of the ways.

That's almost certainly the problem (see my last post).

M

You can probably jinks me since I'm the one that pressed the send button a second after you.

That's almost certainly the problem (see my last post).

M

Back