Grizzly G8688 Thoughts

[SUP]The G0768 looks pretty sweet[/SUP]

1. Crap...decisions decisions. Trying to rationalilze needing the extra 2 in. i was more worried about the dia restriction.
    I don't understand why they put a 5" faceplate in the 7X14 vs the 6 1/4" in the 7X12....

1. Take a look at the bed extension at LMS. You could get the shorter Lathe and if you need to get the bed extension later you could do that. I am in the process of setting up my HF 7x12 that I paid $349 for which was too good a deal to pass up. Please keep in mind that my opinions are completely uninformed as I am so shiny new to the machinist world that you need sun glasses when you talk to me. Good Luck!

Congrats!

Of course we require pics and your impressions of your new machine when you get it. :))

Well the lathe showed up in decent shape Monday...I plan on creating a thread on the packaging, shipping etc as soon as I get a little spare time.

So Grizzly has this lathe on sale and I've been looking for my first lathe. I borrowed a Harbour Freight 7x10 and had some fun with it. However I realized I definitly needed a longer bed fro drilling operations. I don't see much posted on this site on this specific model. Seems like a good deal at $495 including the steady rest and faceplate which alot of the similiar 7x12's don't include.

Anything I should know about this model vs the Harbour Freight, Sieg etc?

While shopping for my New Lathe, I went to Harbor Freight to physically look at their 7X10 Lathe. I took my tape measure along to see if it would fit into a space that I had. While measuring, I discovered that the 7X10 distance is actually 7X8 - what a surprise. That settled that matter. Go buy a Grizzly or Little Machine Shop one!!

Ron

Back