Grizzly G9249 Lathe gear slop question (same as older Chinese belt lathes from Enco and Jet I believe)

boldham

Registered
Registered
Hi friends,
Newbie here. I just bought a used Grizzly metal lathe (my first) and I have some questions about gears!
The forward and reverse spur gears that connect the gearbox to the spindle have a tremendous amount of slop. I am wondering if this is normal/abnormal. (These are the gears that are closest to the spindle gear that have grease fittings.) .
Also, the spindle back gear slides back and forth on the shaft a lot (like 3/8" sorry, new to machining. I think that is that 375 thousandths?). I don't feel any play between the gear and shaft, but was wondering if the sliding is normal?
Finally, I haven't looked at the gearbox gears yet, but I have over 1/2 turn (~200 degrees) of play between the input shaft and output (threading or feeding rod). Normal?
Thanks for any feedback

Welcome to HM.

Any Picts would helpful.

Is it the back gear or the bull gear that slides? It may be normal or it may be wear- picture would help
If the machine has a lot of hours the spindle to gearbox gears may be worn too- Grizzly may still have them
-mark

Back