Grizzly Gunsmithing Lathes... Any Good?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Looking at the large Grizzly gunsmith lathe, the fit was OK and the finish was typical of Chinese manufacture= OK.

What is the consensus from those of you who own or have researched this machine?

Thanks!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought the 14x40 gunsmith lathe. I'm really happy with it so far. I cut perfect threads with it the first time I tried, which was also the first time I ever attempted threads. I'll post some updates as I learn how to use it...

I just bought the 14x40 gunsmith lathe. I'm really happy with it so far. I cut perfect threads with it the first time I tried, which was also the first time I ever attempted threads. I'll post some updates as I learn how to use it...

I've seen some videos on the 14/40 - it looks pretty nice.

I wish I could get the hang of cutting threads here - slow going process for me, but I'll get there! :biggrin:

I looked at them and decided to buy a re-conditioned Southbend. They're not bad lathes, I really didn't see any problems with them, but the headstock is longer than a Southbend Heavy 10, so it's more difficult to do work on gun barrels (crowning, chambering and whatnot) through the headstock. While a barrel can be worked using a steady rest, it's not as precise and much more likely to change set-up then it is if you do it through the headstock with a spider on the backside to align the barrel on both ends.

I purchased the Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith lathe about two years ago. The only problems encountered were two electrical switches went bad within three months of owning it. The warranty covered the problems, other than that it has been a winner.

Mike C

Looking at the large Grizzly gunsmith lathe, the fit was OK and the finish was typical of Chinese manufacture= OK.

What is the consensus from those of you who own or have researched this machine?

Thanks!

Nelson

Nelson,

I have the G4003 (not the G version) and couldn't be happier with its performance. The G4003G adds better headstock bearings, roller tips on the rests, and a stand. I HIGHLY recommend this lathe for the $$$.

Accuracy is supurb and the headstock to ways can be easily adjusted to get it even better. Mine only tapers 0.0003 over 1 foot after adjustment. The top of my gearbox is braced to the wall which substantially improved surface finish.

It's got tons of power and can take heavy cuts and part off without issues. Like anything Chinese, you DO have to go over it when you get it installed into your shop.

The main downsides are fairly minor for what I do: lack of fast RPM, some minor balance issues (nothing an HSM should worry about), and lack of isolation from motor vibration (I rectified this by bracing the motor to the stand I built).

You've gotta come out to my shop and I'll demo the machine for you,.

John

I have a G4003G that I purchased two years ago. That machine pleases me very much. It is very rigid and the controls are silky smooth. I would like a slower speed for threading, as its slowest speed is 70 RPM. My reflexes are improving in that regard, so lately I'm thinking that I won't need Chuck Yager anymore when I'm threading. It will take years for me to out perform its capabilities. (Probably never.) That machine has very fine power feeds, suitable for gun drilling.

I'm 5'4", and I do find the machine a little tall for my own good ... but my fondness for its quality more than offsets that problem. I've been thinking about making something to stand on while working with the lathe.

Years ago I had a top-condition South Bend 9 X 36 heavy. It was extremely easy to use and made cuts with a beautiful finish. Truthfully, the G4003G can match the SB's performance in every respect ... except the SB could turn at 60 RPM plus a few more speeds on the top end. I honestly believe that a new Grizzley G4003G is a better machine than a worn SB, and not outclassed much by a mint condition SB like the one I once owned.

The folks at Grizzley are good people, and won't hesitate to make amends for any problem you might encounter.

Mark

(Good grief, this can actually be considered "contribution")

If you are having trouble threading to a shoulder you might experiment with reversing the spindle and the feed and threading on the backside of your stock. That way you run the tool off the stock and reaction time dose not matter. Advice from an old fart, it works.

Just traded in my Logan 11X24 lathe for a Grizzly G4003G. I work mainly on Mauser type actions and am impressed with the new Grizzly. I also use it for custom 1911 barrel work and making small parts. It is a bargain for the money, and I presume that the larger Grizzly machines are built just as well. I don't think you would regret buying one of these machines.
IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

Back