Grizzly lathe grinder.

big o

Registered
Registered
Having time on my hands, and an old vacuum cleaner motor. Here are the results. Motor
leads swapped around to give a counter clockwise direction. Switch from a pistol grip drill,
( changes a/c to d/c ) .Slot in housing limits rpm.This is a lightweight unit used to trim the
jaws on my lathe chucks.
gr.grinder speed control.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0151.JPG
    DSCN0151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0150.JPG
    DSCN0150.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
That is some cool engineering there.

Not to be a wise Azz but why would you want to grind on your lathe. Couldn't you accomplish the same end result by using the lathe tooling?

Nice work! You may want to guard that motor from directly inhaling grinding dust somehow. Maybe a small duct or guard?

That is some cool engineering there.

Not to be a wise Azz but why would you want to grind on your lathe. Couldn't you accomplish the same end result by using the lathe tooling?
If you want to take away small amounts of material or need to apply a minimal cutting load then grinding will be better than any lathe tool, especially if you're working hardened material.

I'd be really worried about the ways wearing down from the grinding dust though, cool contraption none the less! :grin:

If you want to take away small amounts of material or need to apply a minimal cutting load then grinding will be better than any lathe tool, especially if you're working hardened material.

I'd be really worried about the ways wearing down from the grinding dust though, cool contraption none the less! :grin:

Interesting, I have used Emery to do the same thing. I find it very easy to control material removed for the last 10ths.
I can see the advantage on hardened material with the right stone, control would be my biggest concern, need to try it and see. Thanks for sharing.

Tool post grinder from materials at hand , looks to work well for the job its designed for. I consider it a win!

What type of bearings for your spindle build? They need to be quite precise I assume?

What type of bearings for your spindle build? They need to be quite precise I assume?
These bearings are marked Fafnir, Timken owns the company. They are metric. Bought 6 with a box of parts at a garage sale, including a air hose
reel (20 bucks ).

Nice work! You may want to guard that motor from directly inhaling grinding dust somehow. Maybe a small duct or guard?
I hook up my Shop Vac when using the grinder.

These bearings are marked Fafnir, Timken owns the company. They are metric. Bought 6 with a box of parts at a garage sale, including a air hose
reel (20 bucks ). They are very smooth running.

Back