Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

I think the bushing looks easy enough to make from tubing. With prices for brass/bronze, I'm not sure it's much cheaper that way though. We could certainty look into it. We might be able to find suitable material on ebay or similar. I believe the McMaster part is oilite.

True the McM part is oilite, but this not high speed or even will make a real lot of revolutions in its lifetime. I think brass or bronze will still out live most of us. I would think that this spindle in real terms will never make 1,000 revoultions in its lifetime, for most of us not even 100.

I made a ball turner rig out of a boring head, but haven't had a call to use it yet. If people are ok with either a shorter lever, or some thread showing, I'd like to give that one a go.

This is going well. I like having the assortment kits, 'cause I hate being into a quick project, and then having to spend 45min running to the store for a $0.09 screw.

Here's the update spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Cost Out BOM.xls
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
Good point. I should be able to fit a couple of them on the lathe at a time at least. It's a PM1127, and the part is about 6" long, so perhaps 3 at a time, depending..

I have read that stress isn't as big an issue on hot formed material, but I'm unsure how much difference it makes.
There would also be no issue with leaving centers in one or both ends of the trunion.
That way you could have a longer bar sticking out of the chuck and still support the end properly.

I know if i was gonna buy the hardware for my set i was going to buy most that i can from a local hardware store be it tractor supply lowes or HD

Would it be fair to ask each person to arrange for the hardware to complete their part? I know there will be several situation where "my part" is a bit nebulous.

Alternatively, I could volunteer to buy the hardware with a little help from my friends.

Which is a good segue in to another point. I think the clamp guys had a good idea with shipping that maximized the "if it fits, it ships" rates. Most of you should be able to fit all 7 of the sets you're making into one box. @ttabal and myself have the large, heavy parts, so that really wouldn't be a thing. I suggest that we each ship a part to @Flyinfool for assembly and testing, and then most of you make up a single box with six parts to mail to either @ttabbal or myself. @ttabbal and I will then be responsible for shipping a kit box to each of you.

So, if I were to get all the hardware, it would be included with the box I sent out.

Would it be fair to ask each person to arrange for the hardware to complete their part? I know there will be several situation where "my part" is a bit nebulous.

Alternatively, I could volunteer to buy the hardware with a little help from my friends.

Which is a good segue in to another point. I think the clamp guys had a good idea with shipping that maximized the "if it fits, it ships" rates. Most of you should be able to fit all 7 of the sets you're making into one box. @ttabal and myself have the large, heavy parts, so that really wouldn't be a thing. I suggest that we each ship a part to @Flyinfool for assembly and testing, and then most of you make up a single box with six parts to mail to either @ttabbal or myself. @ttabbal and I will then be responsible for shipping a kit box to each of you.

So, if I were to get all the hardware, it would be included with the box I sent out.
Was the idea for all of us to send all our parts to 1 person for assembly/QC? If that is the case, we are probably better off just having the parts ordered as a group.

I'd be fine putting a few bucks in to "group buy" that hardware.

hink that this spindle in real terms will never make 1,000 revoultions in its lifetime, for most of us

Is there any reason this can't be an aluminum bearing? Wear is not an issue. Just smooth operation without galling.

Is there any reason this can't be an aluminum bearing? Wear is not an issue. Just smooth operation without galling.
I was wondering about some sort of delrin or something? I think plastic solid bushings are pretty cheap.

Back