Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Were we still sending one completed part out in the beginning to do a QC? If so then i may end up holding everyone up. I know most of my parts all make up one single assembly so porb not alot of QC to check on that.

I am also fine with either buying my own hardware or doing a group thing.

Question for the group. I dont know my grades for materials. I have some brass but i am not sure how soft it is. Is 360 brass soft enough? I am looking for the brass to do the brass plugs.

Well, I decided to try stress relief. My forge is a bit shorter than I thought, I could only get about 14" of stock in the chamber.

Heated up nicely, about cherry red and held it for a while. Didn't think to grab a timer, probably about 30min. Shut down the gas and covered the opening with fire bricks. It will likely be cool in the morning. Hopefully it helps. If nothing else, it's kind of interesting to get that big chunk of steel that hot. I've only ever done small parts before.

Well, I decided to try stress relief. My forge is a bit shorter than I thought, I could only get about 14" of stock in the chamber.

Heated up nicely, about cherry red and held it for a while. Didn't think to grab a timer, probably about 30min. Shut down the gas and covered the opening with fire bricks. It will likely be cool in the morning. Hopefully it helps. If nothing else, it's kind of interesting to get that big chunk of steel that hot. I've only ever done small parts before.
Get a picture next time please. Huge chunks of metal heated cherry red makes me giggle like a little girl. :)

Were we still sending one completed part out in the beginning to do a QC? If so then i may end up holding everyone up. I know most of my parts all make up one single assembly so porb not alot of QC to check on that.

I am also fine with either buying my own hardware or doing a group thing.
I didn't think that was going to be a thing unless you wanted to? I presume we might end up with a couple of re-makes along the way or some sort of problem-solving to work around issues with design/manufacture, but I would think it is pretty much a waste to ship a set of parts a 2nd time.

IMO, it would break up my manufacturing process. Since I'm making 8 of my thing, I'm likely going to use the same setup and do 1 operation at a time on each piece. If I was needing to do 1 whole one, then wait, then re-setup my fixtures (particularly the hobbing and external cut, both of which are needing a turned setup) it would be a pretty big interference with my process.

I think we should build one of these, assemble and test it and then re-asses. We can then proceed with a production line process for the next 7. I know it is not efficient to ship one assembly but it could save you a lot of time, expense and material if it uncovers a problem that we did not foresee.
I am sure we will want to make some improvements after the first one.
Robert

Suggestion: Should we put the current drawings and documents on the first post for reference? (and keep them updated there)
Robert

Would it be fair to ask each person to arrange for the hardware to complete their part? I know there will be several situation where "my part" is a bit nebulous.

Alternatively, I could volunteer to buy the hardware with a little help from my friends.

Which is a good segue in to another point. I think the clamp guys had a good idea with shipping that maximized the "if it fits, it ships" rates. Most of you should be able to fit all 7 of the sets you're making into one box. @ttabal and myself have the large, heavy parts, so that really wouldn't be a thing. I suggest that we each ship a part to @Flyinfool for assembly and testing, and then most of you make up a single box with six parts to mail to either @ttabbal or myself. @ttabbal and I will then be responsible for shipping a kit box to each of you.

So, if I were to get all the hardware, it would be included with the box I sent out.
We are 8 members now.

Here you go if someone knows how to turn thin bushing in acetal?
R

I think that the delrin will be fine.
You turn the thin wall the same way you would turn a very small dia.
Turn the ID first.
Then turn the OD using a single pass to finish size.

How about uhmw?

I have a bunch of 2” diameter I can cut all the bushings pretty easy on the cnc?

UHMW is a bit soft for this, the cutting forced when making a gear may deflect the UHMW.

Suggestion: Should we put the current drawings and documents on the first post for reference? (and keep them updated there)
Robert
Done.
I'll do my best to keep them up to date.

Back