Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

I finished the main bases a couple weeks ago, and then moved the manual mill out of the way to get the CNC mill close enough to power outlet.
That leaves the 1/4" plates to machine (again). I'm going to have to spend money for the material (again),
This project has dragged along for a while now, and I'm pretty sure that we've had some members to drop out.
How about we get a head count of who is still in, or add anyone that wants to be in. Let's give it two days. Til Friday evening. Then we divide up the parts remaining, and get this thing done. I'm ready to ship some parts and put a dividing head together.

Attachments

• DSC05268.JPG
    DSC05268.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 22
I've got a set of parts made I can ship in, I just was never able to get the gears hobbed, so I have the parts with the acme threads at the end done.

I'm still in. Just time is at a premium working 2 jobs.

Well, I gave it an extra week. (@ttabbal do you want to play still?)

As of now, it seems that there are 6 of us still in the game. @ErichKeane , @erikmannie , @Flyinfool , @Ianagos @rwm , and myself (@Shotgun ).

What we have done so far:
  • @Flyinfool got the drawings done, and is working on the sector parts.

• @ErichKeane (got stuck at the building a tool to build the tool stage?)

• @erikmannie has the spindle and nuts done.

• @Ianagos has the trunnion done?

• @rwm has the handles and worm gear done

• @Shotgun (me) has the main base and both clamps done. Will be buying some 1/4" plate to finish out the auxiliary base.
If this is all correct, I'll get a list of parts we still need made. I believe @rwm has already sent @erikmannie parts to check for fitting. Should we all ship @erikmannie parts for trial fittings?

Last edited:
I am working on the sector parts, Items 10, 11, and 12. They looked so easy on paper. The fixturing cost more than the parts and use lots of tricky setups. I have all of the fixtures made and have all of the materials purchased. I am learning new things as I make these.

Well, I gave it an extra week. (@ttabbal do you want to play still?)

As of now, it seems that there are 6 of us still in the game. @ErichKeane , @erikmannie , @Flyinfool , @Ianagos @rwm , and myself (@Shotgun ).

What we have done so far:
  • @Flyinfool got the drawings done, and is working on the sector parts.

• @ErichKeane (got stuck at the building a tool to build the tool stage?)

• @erikmannie has the spindle and nuts done.

• @Ianagos has the trunnion done?

• @rwm has the handles and worm gear done

• @Shotgun (me) has the main base and both clamps done. Will be buying some 1/4" plate to finish out the auxiliary base.
If this is all correct, I'll get a list of parts we still need made. I believe @rwm has already sent @erikmannie parts to check for fitting. Should we all ship @erikmannie parts for trial fittings?
I have been crazy busy at work, having had *no days off since March*. After Christmas, I will be able to ship out spindles + nuts.

I'd be willing to help. I think the stuff I suggested making was already dealt with last time. Do we have a list of still needed parts? I could help with trial fittings and adjustments if @erikmannie is too busy.

I'd be willing to help. I think the stuff I suggested making was already dealt with last time. Do we have a list of still needed parts? I could help with trial fittings and adjustments if @erikmannie is too busy.
Unfortunately, I would not have time for any trial fittings or adjustments. I haven’t even been able to ship out one item in 2 months time. Sorry that I am so useless here, but my employer is very skilled at commandeering almost 100% of my productivity.

Back when I made these spindles, it did take all of my free time for a 6-month period (always Sundays).

I’m still here I have the trunion and the dividing plates to do.

I had some uh issues on the first time I tried the trunion then ended up building a new shop and new machines and life has been moving quick and I haven’t had a chance to do much of any projects for myself.

I’m sorry but glad to see some are still around for the ride.

I still want to complete my parts and hope to do so. I haven’t forgotten that’s for sure it’s on my pile of hobbies I haven’t had a chance to do because I’m too broke to stop working at the moment.

Back