Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Looking at shipping charges, it make the most sense to ship fewer, but heavier packages. I think it is essential that the first set of parts go to Jeff for inspection. He will end up with one machine that way. Leave that out of the equation for a minute.

If we ship part to individuals, that would be 6 parts x 6 machinists = 36 packages. (although lighter)

Proposal:
If we ship to a distributor, that would be 7 packages to 1 distributor, then 1 package to each of 7 machinists = 14 packages. More efficient. (you could still hold back your own part to make the package lighter)
We could pool the shipping costs. Individuals could report actual charges to the distributor who could then calculate each individual's share. The total charges would be divided by 8 not 7.
The distributor would not have to assemble the devices but would have to package the kits and ship them.
If you like this proposal give a thumbs up and we will count this as a poll. If you have another proposal, post it and we will see how many thumbs you get. Do not vote in more that one poll! Please do not expect this to be cheap any way we slice it.
We also need to nominate a distributor. I would be willing to do it. If you get any kind of shipping discount through work please step forward.

Robert

EDIT: Some rough math- If the average package is $15 the individual cost would be $27. (15 x 14/ 8)
Robert

It would be a huge cost saving if the heavy parts from Shotgun and Lanagos made it to Charlotte somehow. My sister lives in Raleigh and could possible bring some.
R

It appears that you and I were typing at the same time, but typing essentially the same thing @rwm. :)

We seem to have all the heaviest parts right here on the central east coast. @Ianagos , would you be ok with meeting up at @rwm's place for a "kitting party"? @rwm, would you be ok with hosting such a party?

I am fine with however we slices the pieces. I know my parts will be the lightest so i am getting the best slice of pie in shipping. I agree to divy up shipping costs.

I am always happy to host! But I don't think that makes much sense for Lanagos. That would be at least an 8-hour drive round trip and the fuel cost would outweigh the shipping costs substantially. Unless of course he's coming near Charlotte for some other reason. Or if I happen to go to Atlanta which is not in my plans yet.
Robert

May go look at a lathe up that way for a buddy soon.

I live on the other side of Atlanta in Snellville now Charlotte is 3 hours out.

I can probably make the drive up that way at some point. Just depends how busy I am. Maybe we can do some trading aswell I got tons of tooling that needs to find a new home.

What’s the plan on the trunions?

I did get the material. I think I can make them? Would be about $40 to ship it all to someone else.

Been busy with the day job and haven't checked in till now. If you want to ship it to me I'll still do the work. I'll cover the shipping cost, still far cheaper than I could get it locally.

A little more progress today, 10x of the next op: drilling and tapping for the setscrew :)

I ended up using a gauge pin held against the jaw and the side of the hole, and indicated against that:PXL_20210605_204928692.jpg

Then I center drilled, counterbored, drilled, and tapped! This aluminum was a pain to tap (the flutes kept getting packed full and so it took 3 runs to get each tapped). I left about .700 of threads, so that should be plenty!

PXL_20210605_210043179.jpg

The brass tapped way easier, I didn't even have to break the chip!
PXL_20210605_224716719.jpg

Another question: since I need the setscrews for an operation anyway, should I just pick up enough for the whole project? I have to take a trip to Ace anyway.

Might as well, they are usually pretty cheap at the hardware store.

Back