Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

OK, I finally got caught up and loaded a fresh set of files to the first post.

I turned these 2 diameters down to spec & now I am going to cut some threads.

I am still only working on the first spindle. I am not working on any other projects, but I told you guys that I work really long hours at my day job.

38A80827-CDCA-4851-B587-349DD901C66F.jpeg

Had more shop time! Unfortunately cut short, as you'll read.

I stopped by ace to get our set screws last night and installed all of them. Then I turned an arbor to start with the OD. I started with the largest bore, and made it tight enough it needed a little tap from a mallet to get on. It also uses the set screw on a flat, plus a clamp off the end.

PXL_20210606_200912283.jpg

I was able to take .100 DOC passes (fortunately, since otherwise removing 2 inches of diameter would take forever...) Without issue.PXL_20210606_201525099.jpg

I finished my roughing on the first one, and it is down to round! So yay for that. Surface finish is kinda bad, but hey, roughing cut.

PXL_20210606_202546133.jpg

It was this point I realized I don't have a 3-4" micrometer! I could use my Fowler 12" calipers but my confidence in them is sorta "meh" (jaws on my 6" B&S aren't long enough to go in straight).

Fortunately I had ordered most of a B&S micrometer set NOS which is shipping Monday anyway! So, just looks like this project is back-burnered until that shows up.

Might as well, they are usually pretty cheap at the hardware store.
Likewise for the base, I'm going to pick up the screws, and use some pins I have.

In my case, I have to have the Auxiliary Base indicated and anchored before I bore for the trunnion. The order of operations will be:

1 - complete the bottom features of the Main Base
2 - flip it on its side, and match drill the Auxiliary and Main together for the screws.
3 - Open up the holes on the Auxiliary, bolt it together, then drill and set the pins.

Once I've set the pin, each Main/Auxiliary Base will be a matched set.

I am still only working on the first spindle. I am not working on any other projects, but I told you guys that I work really long hours at my day job.

Relax.

Given current progress, I'm going to be the long pole in this project. I just about have the "boring bar" completed. Rusty, 3" dia steel of unknown grade took a whole day to clean up and turn an MT3 taper on one end. . . the second time.

Relax.

Given current progress, I'm going to be the long pole in this project. I just about have the "boring bar" completed. Rusty, 3" dia steel of unknown grade took a whole day to clean up and turn an MT3 taper on one end. . . the second time.
Yeah, I figure we'll be deep into summer before getting even the 1st 'test' version done, and probably deep into winter before this project is all said and done.

When faced with making square stock round, I'll cut the corners off with the bandsaw to save on chip making and interrupted cutting.

I only have a vertical bandsaw setup, and it doesn't really have a table on it, so workholding for that becomes a pain :/ My wood bandsaw is in storage, otherwise I probably would have used that.

In the long run, it didn't take too long. It was probably only about 5 mins to turn down what you saw above. The interrupted cut isn't a problem with the tool I'm using (super round nose, HSS, 3/4" tool) on aluminum.

For the next revision, put me down for the "lever handle" instead of MMC. I will make these out of stainless and aluminum. Got to get my ball turner set up.
Robert

I havent even start my parts yet i just have the material cut up. Dont have to rush to much.

I think we should be more focused on quality than time!
Still, I can't wait to see the first one assembled. I am going to run into stretches when I can get very little done and then other times of more productivity. I think we will all be like that.
Robert

Back