Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

That sounds like a good plan. Just curious why you wouldn't face the side of the base on the mill?
Robert
I have to mount it square and secure on the lathe to drill the trunnion hole. Putting a tool in the lathe to face the side is trivial at that point.

On the mill, I'd have to do a second setup, and even if my angle block were top-notch, I don't think I could rig a setup that would be as square and rigid as being bolted to the lathe carriage.

Reactions: rwm
Been busy with the day job and haven't checked in till now. If you want to ship it to me I'll still do the work. I'll cover the shipping cost, still far cheaper than I could get it locally.

Give me a few days. I want to try to make them but I may not have time.

I have no day job but run a machine shop so sometimes it’s slow and sometimes I can’t even sleep.

Scheduled to be pretty slow next week but I’m still getting through some things this week. I’ll try to take a better look at the drawings and see if it’s doable with tooling I have on hand.

I also need to find stock for the index plates... 5” round 1/4 thick I may try to make it from plate.

I was thinking we should make the index plates and the end caps from plate. I think both of these parts could be under .250 a little after finishing but I will defer to Jeff on that conclusion.
Robert

@rwm, I'm going to be in Charlotte for the 4th. Do you think we could me up to compare notes?

I am working the entire weekend of the 4th. So excited....
R

Sometimes luck is better than skill.

I was milling the sides of the base of the Main Base. Just trying to clean up the rough bandsaw cut. Once I had a clean pass, I stopped to get an accurate measurement before milling to the 6".

It was 6.005", and pretty warm. Accounting for some shrinkage as it cools, I left that one alone!! :cool:

A lot of turning today! I got the blanks all down to diameter! I was able to take some big cuts with the aluminum squares, and the brass worked easy enough.

Next I have to decide how I'm going to cut the "slots" so I can hobb these. Then, I actually have to just suck it up and hob!

Attachments

• PXL_20210610_230453557.jpg
    PXL_20210610_230453557.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210610_230810035.jpg
    PXL_20210610_230810035.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210610_231322232.jpg
    PXL_20210610_231322232.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
A lot of turning today! I got the blanks all down to diameter! I was able to take some big cuts with the aluminum squares, and the brass worked easy enough.

Next I have to decide how I'm going to cut the "slots" so I can hobb these. Then, I actually have to just suck it up and hob!
Also note... I spent a while trying to figure out how to get these mounted to my rotary table so I can cut the hob-guidance-slots in it. I decided the only way I could think of is to buy a legitimate chuck for it, so I found a cheap $90 front-mount 6" 4 jaw, but it'll take a few weeks to get in.

So at least the gears are going to be a while before I can make any more progress.

EDIT: Also: Do we know how many 'teeth' there are around the outside FlyinFool? I guess I could count off the PDF, but I wanted to make sure those were correct.

EDIT: Also: Do we know how many 'teeth' there are around the outside FlyinFool? I guess I could count off the PDF, but I wanted to make sure those were correct.

The answer is 40.

Maybe I should have went for 42, but no such luck. There are 40.

Back