Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Very cool! That's a lot of material removal on those large bases.
Robert

Yea there is no way id be ready to do things that big where i am at right now.

Thats cool! Makes me jealous, I would have loved to make those parts on my shaper but alas, the raw materials were super expensive :/

I'm still falling behind on my parts. I need to make 1 or 2 of the shafts-with-gears on them, plus I need to actually hobb the gears. I'm delayed a little because the rotary-broach project is going surprisingly quickly, so I'm about to be the one delaying everyone!

Additionally, I just got a new mill, but not in place yet. The old one is all disconnected, so I can't do the cuts on it just yet. Either way, it'll be a little while before I can get stuff setup again and everything back in place to start working on my parts again.

Well I gave up on 3D printing the 2 sector arms. They look nice but the 3D print just can not hold the tolerances needed, and all of the layering will not have the strength or surface finish I want to see.
So I will be making them out of a 12 x 12 sheet of black delrin that I have. This is the layout to get them all onto the sheet. It is already glued to the sheet.
I will first drill the center pilot hole and then rough cut the outline on the bandsaw followed by mounting using the pilot hole and doing all of the outside profile on the rotary table. Once they are all to size then I will set up the angle vice to cut the ramp last.

Attachments

• 20210722_210711.jpg
    20210722_210711.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 13
I like your plan. What's the thickness of the acetal?
R

Now that I finished my tailstock die holder:

1627941834705.png

I am working on the ball handles for the shifter. Hey Jeff; what would be the optimal length for the ball handle from the OD of the shifter to the base of the ball handle?

Robert

The length is really not at all important from a mechanical standpoint, I think around 2 inches would look nice.

Reactions: rwm
Back