Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

And, then disaster struck.

I thought that I was leaving about 100 thou on the bottom to clean up before putting in the screw holes to join the halves of the base. I was wrong. I measured the 4.73 dimension from the outside, instead of from the inside. Every single one is 1/2" too narrow.

I really screwed it up this time.

I have 2 others already done.
R

BOM is changed and new one is posted.

And, then disaster struck.

I thought that I was leaving about 100 thou on the bottom to clean up before putting in the screw holes to join the halves of the base. I was wrong. I measured the 4.73 dimension from the outside, instead of from the inside. Every single one is 1/2" too narrow.

I really screwed it up this time.

OUCH!!!

My first thought is to make a spacer that is pinned and screwed (2 each) to the base and then have the screws for the side piece go all the way thru to the base If you do it right no one will notice, much.

SO, I finally got a chance to work an hour or two on my parts! I have 4 of the DH013 complete, and 1 that needs parting + a minor feature put on it (Due to how the material works, I have to build them in pairs, and can't part them off until I have both ready to part). I also have an un-touched bar, so I have the material to make 8!

I started by getting the 'worm gear' part set up and worm threads cut, but then my cross-slide decided to misbehave! SO, that was all I could get done today :/

I pulled apart my cross slide, and found the problem pretty quickly: The brass 'button' under one of the set-screws for my thread-stop had 'mushroomed' in the hole and jammed everything up! A little bit of work with a pick was all it took to free stuff up, but it made my 'most important' project of the moment obviously to make new brass buttons! There are 3 in the cross-slide/threading stop mechanism, so I spent the rest of my time re-making those 3.

Looks like I'll have to get back to this again this weekend!

I've decided that I'm going to fix my screw up by making new parts, instead of trying to hack something together. It's not a complete loss, because:
- I learned enough making the first 8 that the second set should go a lot faster.
- my equipment is in better shape and has been upgraded, so things will go faster still.
- the squared up metal can be used to make the spindle locks, which gets me further ahead on that front.

I need to buy my uncle a blade for his saw, and I should be able to head over and get material over the weekend.

I have finished everything on the 8 spindles except the flat spot where the set screw rests. I need to buy a .375” end mill for that. All the lathe work is done!

I just have to clean them up before I post a picture. The shop is a mess.

I am out of town now, but next weekend I will upload a picture of the 8 spindles that are almost done.

I will be milling the set screw slots on the spindles on Oct. 3.

At the end of the video that I linked above, that "part" that I'm facing is 8 spindle clamps ganged together in the vice.

Back