Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

@Flyinfool , I'll leave it up to you, but if we can make all the screws the same size hex head, I will commit to machining a storage solution into the base. It will involve drilling two holes, and using the spring from the apex seal of a rotary engine.

Yes. I have the parts on hand. (I just rebuilt a the rotary engine on the Dyke Delta I built.)
No. I don't think I could ever explain what the solution looks like in text.

But, I will try.

Drill a hole into a side of the base a few inches deep that is 1/8" or so larger in diameter than the hex. Then drill a 1/8" hole at 90 degress into the first hole. The bow shaped spring then slides into the first hole, until the trailing edge fo the spring falls into the second hole. At this point, the spring is trapped. Now, you can push the hex wrench in, and the spring will hold it.

The actual hex wrenches can be had for $1.50, but I'd also commit to making them from some hex rod, because. . . .reasons.

Got some pics of the spring?

SOme of this is small details that can go one way or the other. I am concentrating more on the big parts and then let the little stuff fall where it may. I work on the small easy stuff when I should be doing something but my brain is not up for critical thinking. I am averaging 4-5 hours a day 7 days a week on this project.

With all of the assembly parts are we going to need more people? Or is each individual going to have a packet of parts to make? I am fine with a packet of parts to make. I am just curious after you saying how many parts were on the BOM.

It kind of depends on the parts, Some parts a super small and easy so it would make sense to have a group of a bunch of small easy parts, There are a couple of parts that are going to be complicated and time consuming to make along with possibly need custom fixtures needed to hold the parts for machining. Those parts it would be logical to be just the one part for a person. There may even be a part or 2 that will need work done in collaboration of 2 people to be able to accomplish everything needed. At this point it is hard to figure the breakdown until we know the full scope of things to do.

There are some parts that but be out of steel, Nothing at this point requires a specific grade of steel so can be made out of whatever a person has on hand or can aquire or just likes to work with. other parts can be made from Aluminum or almost any metal. And some parts can be made from almost any metal but need to be a bit stronger than AL. There may even be a couple of parts that can be made from metal or plastic and may even be candidates for 3D printing. There should be something for everyone's skill and capabilities in this project. Three are a few parts that will require very tight tolerances on some features. some will be ±.001 or even tighter if the person feels they can hold it.

Im looking forward to my parts. I hope there are some good pieces to work on in the handles.

Got some pics of the spring?

SOme of this is small details that can go one way or the other. I am concentrating more on the big parts and then let the little stuff fall where it may. I work on the small easy stuff when I should be doing something but my brain is not up for critical thinking. I am averaging 4-5 hours a day 7 days a week on this project.

Can you see how you could have a hole that is oversized for the hex, and then another cross-drilled to that one. Slide the spring in, and it will get caught in the cross drilled hole.

I've been watching this thread but not participating as shipping parts to/from Canada would be stupid expensive.
But while looking for something else I ran across this:

I've been watching this thread but not participating as shipping parts to/from Canada would be stupid expensive.
But while looking for something else I ran across this:
That guy is only a bit down the road from me :) I thought about making his hand-shaper and a few of his other things a couple of times.

Ok a question.
I am working on the indexing plate for the spindle.
What are the preferences for index spacing.
I can go as low as every 5°, but that will really be a pain to make with 72 precision slots and a lot of engraving and or stamping.
I could go every 10°, this cuts it down to 36 indexes and if someone really wanted 5° they could add another slot every other position, You would have an indexer to do this.
The other option is every 15° this would match the 15° indexing of the trunion and still hit all the common positions.

Lets discuss this so I know what you like best. Majority of responders wins. Design wise it does not make me much difference, It is just a number typed on the screen. The person making it and I together will cast the tie breaker. Capabilities can/may trump desires.
I am designing so that both index devices use the same cutting tool that is readily available.

Back