Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Looking at the model you sent a few days back: The graduations for the Trunnion angle disappear into the slot at about 70 degrees. That was without the Quick Index Plate installed. With it installed, could we roll those graduations toward the zero and put a pointer on the inside of the Main Base?

Looking at the model you sent a few days back: The graduations for the Trunnion angle disappear into the slot at about 70 degrees. That was without the Quick Index Plate installed. With it installed, could we roll those graduations toward the zero and put a pointer on the inside of the Main Base?

This could be possible. It will just get a little more tricky for whomever will be engraving it.

I am working on the pin and mounting now, I am planning to use the same pin and system as the trunion lock.

Once I get this part done I will post another model that you CAN rotate without breaking your finger or mouse.

@Ianagos signed up for making the indexing plates, because he has the CNC, but I'm pretty sure that @Flyinfool is talking about the quick indexer/backing plate.

@Ianagos, would you be able to volunteer to make the Quick Index Plate with positions every 5 degrees? I'd be happy if this part was not marked, or just "sparsely" marked (every 30 degrees?) Marking every 5 degrees would be really busy.

I’m not 100% on using the machine yet but I have a Mazak Integrex Mill turn center. Look it up but basically it’s a lathe that can do 5 axis milling.

I’m lacking in offline programming skills still. but a lot can be done in the conversational control mazatrol.
824f6bc9209317ad446720c1d6a7edcd.jpg

These bolts were made in one setup on that machine.

214dfe73d5ac9899b5482b42dd51ecb0.jpg

I will abstain on the “number of degree” question. I will happily go along with what the rest of the group decides.

I was unable to download the STEP file on my phone. I will try a computer this weekend.

Are we at the point where I can order material for the spindles?

I dont think so. He will tell ya when we can start ordering. I believe he wanted to talk to all of us first.

I’m not 100% on using the machine yet but I have a Mazak Integrex Mill turn center. Look it up but basically it’s a lathe that can do 5 axis milling.
That looks like one schweet machine!!

@Flyinfool , is there a scheme to the color choices? Or is it just random to help distinguish one part from another?

@lanagos That Mazak looks like fun.

@Brento I will be contacting each person so I can understand your shop and personal capabilities to be sure I do not design a part you can not make. There are often many ways to design the same part to accommodate different manufacture processes.

@Shotgun No scheme other than to tell the parts from each other. My boss used to pick on me and refer to my stuff as Easter eggs. But in the end he did have to agree that it was a lot easier to understand than having everything the same color. Some parts I have colored as brass just because Mark_f used brass. Some parts could be made out of almost any type of metal and some out of metal or even plastic. Others must be a specific material to be able to do their job. I am trying to keep everything as easy as possible and still have a quality useful tool at the end.

@erikmannie The STEP file is up over 18 Meg now. Getting into the range where some may have difficulty working with it. So far my laptop is hanging in there, but it is starting sweat a little when I have that main assembly open along with a few other parts that I am working on. The original SW files are a lot smaller than the STEP files but still sneaking up on my RAM limits.

Back