Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Are you using cosmetic threads on the bolt holes, or building them as a feature?

I see you changed up the countersunk screws to cap heads, and then there are still the button head screws on the base. You can get back a little memory and performance by making those all the same part. Right?

There are a couple holes in the Main Base that can go away, due to your change up.

Other than that, this drawing is getting pert near complete, if my eyes aren't deceiving me. What's left, other than the clamp screw for the spindle lock? (and is that upside down? It should be clamped from the other way?)

Nice job on the model Flyin!

There are a lot of little details yet to be done.
There are a lot of places that could be done different to help with the file size.

I am getting closer to the point of actually starting the 2D drawings with dimensions and tolerances.

Some threads are drawn some are cosmetic. SolidWorks is a lot harder to get what you want than what I am used to. The better I am getting at Solidworks the more I remember about why the last place I worked at did not choose it for the engineering department to use.

Inventor i think he said? I loved inventor but now i am not allowed to get it bc they made it harder to get the trial.

@Flyinfool the file size doesnt really matter. Id rather have a good functioning tool then having something done different just to make the file size smaller.

Yes inventor is what I have used on the job for the last 20 years.
20 years ago when we were shopping for CAD software, Inventor took a lot less key strokes or mouse clicks to do the same thing, now 20 years later I find this to still be true.

NOOooooo! I would never change or compromise the design in any way for file size. Just changing how things are displayed in the 3D model on screen to help file size. Like cosmetic features instead of fully formed features, like threads and knurls. You really only need the fully formed features for a fancy presentation or for something like 3D printing. But it does eat up a lot of bytes to show these things in their full detail.

The screws that I changed from button head to cap screws are the screws that will be used all the time during actual use of the tool, I left the others button head since they are just assembly screws. I am still trying to keep all of the "In Use" screws with the same hex drive. But I think it will end up being 2 hex sizes, we shall see.

I probably won't be loading the .step file anyway, just looking at the 3views :)

@erikmannie The STEP file is up over 18 Meg now. Getting into the range where some may have difficulty working with it. So far my laptop is hanging in there, but it is starting sweat a little when I have that main assembly open along with a few other parts that I am working on. The original SW files are a lot smaller than the STEP files but still sneaking up on my RAM limits.

I won’t have time to use my laptop until the weekend, but I will let you know if I cannot read the file on a PC.

Has anyone else been watching the thread of the Group Bar Clamp build?
They are just starting to get into parts distribution, We might learn from their experience.

Back