Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

The chuck on the Atlas needs a flange to register against on the back side, so the 2" diameter works for me. And then I need 1" for threads. So a 2" diameter, 1.25" long nose will work for me.

I have a southbend so id like to have the nose with enough material for a chuck from that.

I don't have a South Bend, I need to know how much material you need in the nose.

How much length do you need for a 1.5-8 spindle nose?

M50 is a bit smaller than 2 inches so that should work. How much length is needed?

How much total spindle length do you need for an R8 and draw bar?

See the theme here, I am trying to get numbers for how big do you want it? :)

MOAR BIGNESS!

M50 needs about 3/4" of threads. Maybe 1" total. Probably similar for a threaded chuck.

R8 will fit diameter wise. Total collet length is 4". Drawbar would just need enough room to draw the collet in. 1/4" is likely more than enough.

I don't have any specific needs, just putting ideas out there that might be helpful.

The lathe threads for me are 1.5 - 8. Idk how much i would need to cut that bc i cant get to the lathe at the moment to see how much material i would need

My Mill is a Z collet and my lathe is a D1-4. So my needs are probably different that anyone else. Anything other than what I have, I have no idea how big it is until someone tells me.

I have started the process of making the drawings and deciding tolerances.

The other thing is if there is a more popular size that everyone else has then i can always make an adaptor if i needed like others are saying. I just havent been able to play with my lathe to know how much material would be needed. I know 2" in diameter would prob be okay for me but idk the length needed on the nose.

The other thing is if there is a more popular size that everyone else has then i can always make an adaptor if i needed like others are saying. I just havent been able to play with my lathe to know how much material would be needed. I know 2" in diameter would prob be okay for me but idk the length needed on the nose.
You can solve this problem.

Open a new thread in - - - South Bend FORUM - - - . "I have a ________ (model, size) lathe with a 1.500-8 spindle thread. I don't have access to the late right now but I need to know how long the spindle snout is (including, thread, registration diameter and flange). Can someone please post a picture with a scale sitting on top of the spindle nose? Thank you."

My Mill is a Z collet and my lathe is a D1-4. So my needs are probably different that anyone else. Anything other than what I have, I have no idea how big it is until someone tells me.

I have started the process of making the drawings and deciding tolerances.
Any chance you could share the solidworks files for me to play with? Give everyone a chance to give last minute input before it goes to drawings?

Here are some files to play with.
There are 49 Solidworks Files involved at about 30M in size.
I still have a few small details to deal with yet.
Just because it is starting to go to paper does not mean that I can not make changes. I expect changes after I get all the drawings done and I can talk to each person about the parts they are making.

DH AY001 DividingHead01.JPG

DH AY001 DividingHead02.JPG

Attachments

• DH AY001 DividingHead.STEP
    18.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Total length of register and threads is 7/8". Length of threads alone is 11/16". Diameter of the register is 1.509". This is for my southbend 9A nose.

Back