Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

OK, I'm better now.
Was a close call.
Let a lot of the magic blue smoke out from between my ears.

I looked at what it would take to add the dual support to the worm shaft. One change affects another and it is a cascading effect, It would be a pretty major redesign to add it at this point and might even eliminate some other features. Unless a majority of us would really like it, I would say we should pass on that one. The shaft as designed is pretty hefty and I think that even if you added a stepper or servo drive for spiral cuts down the road I think it would still be fine.

As for the double custom made jam nuts with 2 inh hex on the bottom of the spindle, That would be a simple change to make it something like a round nut that is knurled and locked by set screws, then no one has to come up with a special wrench or spanner to tighten it. You really will not want it any more than a light finger tight. Just enough to eliminate end play of the spindle.
Whether it is the nuts or a round, it is still parts (2 nuts or 1 round) someone has to make.

Let me know your thoughts.

I like one round nut with a set screw. Simple, solid, and no special tools.

I got slowed down a bit due to going to a few job interviews. It also took me a bit to figure out how to create a drawing format and title block.

I am back to making drawings at least for the weekend, I am expecting /hoping for a couple more interviews next week.

I have made a bunch of small changes to the models, and added more hardware. I'll try to get an update posted soon.

Here are files to play with.

Attachments

• DH AY001 DividingHead.JPG
    DH AY001 DividingHead.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DH AY001 DividingHead.STEP
    17.9 MB · Views: 5
This is looking beautiful. I spent hours spinning it around (the actual model. Not the image this time.)

I think the drawing is close enough to complete that we might want to revisit our assignment list. When we last looked at who was doing what:

1) Drawing (@Flyinfool)
2) Worm, Gear (@ErichKeane) - -
3) Spindle Shaft (@erikmannie) - - 4140?
4) Trunnion and Bearing (@ttabbal)
5) End Plates
5) Base, Selector Crank Arm, Spindle Lock with Indexing Pin (@Shotgun ) - - A35
6) Worm Crank and Selector Pin (@Brento) - -
7) Index Plates (@Ianagos)
8) Chuck/Front Index Plate/Backing Plate,

I signed up for the Selector Crank Arm, but I don't know that it makes sense. I have access to so much of that 3/4" structural steel for free, that I think it would make more sense for me to be responsible for the Base, Spindle Lock, and Trunnion Crank. Basically, all the 3/4" stuff.

I am still in for what I am signed up for.

Do we want 4140 prehard or annealed? I can order material this Friday (4/23) if you tell me the OD and total length.

Last edited:
The Spindle can be almost any grade steel that you want to machine. It is not like anything on this will run at high speed and realistically I am sure most of us will not put a lot of hours on it.

I have a good start on the drawings, But I am deciding final clearances and tolerances as I make each mating parts drawings. Soon I will be able to post a set of preliminary drawings. There may be more changes based on the capabilities of each member of this project.

Are there any lurkers here that might want to join in the fun. there are plenty of parts to go around. Once we officially start making parts it will be late to jump in.

Here is the BOM so far. There is still some hardware to be added but all the parts that need someone to make are there.
I have all purchased parts listed with McMaster-Carr part numbers, they do not have to be purchased there, but it is a way to identify the parts and a possible source.

Attachments

• Dividing Head BOM.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 6
I added all the names to the BOM from the list above that @Shotgun posted, If I did it correctly, there are 16 parts not yet accounted for.
Here is the updated BOM with the names on it. Check it out to be sure I understand what you are each volunteering for.

Attachments

• Dividing Head BOM.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 10
Back