Group Project: Rotary Broach-- Building complete, all shipped out!

I think the only part I would not be able to do would be the bit grinding. At least not with much precision. I'll say 1 or 2 since I know I have the stock. I could grab some 1.5" round though.

I think the only part I would not be able to do would be the bit grinding. At least not with much precision. I'll say 1 or 2 since I know I have the stock. I could grab some 1.5" round though.

Cool! Current preferences list (not signing up for both, but helps keep track):

Backing Plate: ttabbal -or- ??
Main Body: ttabbal -or- ??
Spindle:
Bits:

Did my two TODOs for the images, going to order bearings for measuring purposes :)

Attachments

• 6_11_back.jpg
    6_11_back.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 6_11_front.jpg
    6_11_front.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
Ok, a lot going on. Do you have the ability to print diagrams/plans from those CAD models? Are you saying there are only these parts (that need to be machined)
Backing plate
main spindle body
spindle
angle plate
?
I wonder if this is an easy out on MAKING bits? Unless someone has a shaper or mad hand skills
Broaching bits
What else am I missing? I'd be down for making the spindle...but I'm flexible.
Also, couldn't the backing plate have a deep enough recess to handle different length threads? What is the consensus on arbor type? I'm not even sure what my machines abilities are. MT3, up to 1/2" straight...that's all?

Ok, a lot going on. Do you have the ability to print diagrams/plans from those CAD models? Are you saying there are only these parts (that need to be machined)
Backing plate
main spindle body
spindle
angle plate
?
I wonder if this is an easy out on MAKING bits? Unless someone has a shaper or mad hand skills
Broaching bits
What else am I missing? I'd be down for making the spindle...but I'm flexible.
Also, couldn't the backing plate have a deep enough recess to handle different length threads? What is the consensus on arbor type? I'm not even sure what my machines abilities are. MT3, up to 1/2" straight...that's all?
Yep, I'll make 2d prints from these once I am more sure of the dimensions and software :)

There are only 3 machined parts, the back plate, the body, and the spindle. I have a surface grinder to make the bits if no one else does, so that was probably going to be my contribution.

I can definitely change the depth of the backing plate threads, I made them what I hope is deep enough. I think we are better just spending $10 and all buying our own shank.

I already ordered an MT4 and a R8 for me, so feel free to buy the 1/2" and MT2 you wanted (or I can make one or two, since the bits are perhaps too small a project).

Let me know what I can do, I've been sidetracked, (other hobbies, not related) send me a 2d print and tell me how many to make.

I have a luxury some may not, I have a Metal Supermarket about 4 miles from my house. Whatever that’s worth.
I’m flexible on what part to make…
Assign away!

Let me know what I can do, I've been sidetracked, (other hobbies, not related) send me a 2d print and tell me how many to make.

I have a luxury some may not, I have a Metal Supermarket about 4 miles from my house. Whatever that’s worth.
I’m flexible on what part to make…
Assign away!

Ok, then I think I'll give @GunsOfNavarone the main body as it requires a slightly larger diameter stock, and @T Bredehoft can have the spindle.

Backing Plate: @GunsOfNavarone
Main Body: @ttabbal
Spindle: @T Bredehoft
Bits: @ErichKeane

Don't buy materials until I have the prints done, I want to make sure I've got the sizes of everything where it needs to be. I should be getting all the bearings in by Monday, so I should be able to confirm my measurements by then and start on the prints. After that, the dividing head project had everyone inspect to make sure they would be able to make what they were given.

We need to send you money for things...I seem to remember reading some posts back. Method and amount please?

We need to send you money for things...I seem to remember reading some posts back. Method and amount please?
I'll just have you send it at the end as I'm not sure how much the 'shipping back' is going to be. I think it ends up being ~$20/each at the end though. I figure paypal or mail when we get there.

Back