Group Project: Rotary Broach-- Building complete, all shipped out!

Drawings look easy enough to follow. Which one should I be looking at making? I'll pay extra attention to it. :)

Drawings look easy enough to follow. Which one should I be looking at making? I'll pay extra attention to it. :)
You are the 'main body'. The MOST important dimension there is the needle bearing's back (front bearing) to the rear-most location. The needle bearing thickness has the +/- 3 thou because if you're too long you end up hitting the spindle.

The bolt holes are all tapped 1/4-28, and their location is pretty important.

Otherwise, I think I have enough clearance in places to make the rest of it pretty unimportant.

BTW: Any dimension that I didn't specify tolerances on is pretty unimportant, I designed this like I was going to be making all the parts, which means I put plenty of clearance on most dimensions :)

The 3 bore diameters result in a through hole, right? Doesn't look bad at all. When we get ready to go, please post the 3D model. It helps to be able to turn it around and look from all sides.

The 3 bore diameters result in a through hole, right? Doesn't look bad at all. When we get ready to go, please post the 3D model. It helps to be able to turn it around and look from all sides.
Yes, that is correct.

I'll definitely do so, what format do you prefer? I can post it pretty easily in a couple of formats.

Also note, I just got in the R8 arbor with 3/8-24 thread on it that I ordered (I also have an MT4 incoming). The threads on this one are .555 long or so, so the .750 that I left for them should be plenty assuming everyone else's shanks are the same. @GunsOfNavarone

I attached the STEP file, but I don't have anything to view it, so hopefully it turned out OK :)

Attachments

• Rotary Broach.step
    433.9 KB · Views: 14
FreeCAD can do it too. Fusion is nicer though because you can view only the part you want to see. I could have missed an option in FreeCAD. Anyway, looks good.

FreeCAD can do it too. Fusion is nicer though because you can view only the part you want to see. I could have missed an option in FreeCAD. Anyway, looks good.
ON the left bar (at least during design in the normal files) there is the ability to disable each component 1 by 1.

I used FreeCAD because I'm on Linux, so most cad packages aren't an option.

Back