Group Project: Small sliding bar clamp

Weldingrod1

Registered
Registered
This is a follow on thread to the one started by GunOfNavarone. Join this thread if you would like to join in on the construction of small sliding bar clamps. This is intended to be a project that goes fast, is pretty straigh forward, and acts as a pilot test for group projects in general.

I'm thinking of spreading the parts out among multiple people. Either one type of part per person or, if we get a lot of people, we could have multiple people on each part. I had an offer to case harden parts, so that's a possibility. If we don't harden I could do the "collect" step. So, the process would be:

Make drawings
Set the number of copies we are making
Number of people X number of clamps wanted...
Farm out the parts to the folks
People make their part
Ship finished parts to case hardening or coloring volunteer
Ship parts to folks...

I don't want to stick the bulk harden/color volunteer with shipping costs, so we would need to come up with a clean way to spread that out. Collecting has the advantage in that there are only 2 ship steps per batch/recipient.

Parts:
Sliding tube (0.500")
Fixed jaw
Fixed jaw screw (could be bought)
Moving jaw
Knob
Stud (could be integral with knob)
Pad

The pad needs to be retained by staking the stud.

So, who's game?
b0ff7e79569551b25edfcbe8c0423068.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve got a wood lathe so I can make wooden handles if needed and I can make round parts on my metal lathe

I'll play, lathe and mill available.

The tube stock is here!
I guess I'd better make some drawings ;-)

should we make the knob knurled or out of wood? I don't have a knurling tool and I think wood works better

Does the floating bar have a dog point set screw riding in a groove in the vertical bar? In other words, what keeps it from twisting?

It's free to slide on the bar. A very small clearance leads to good self-locking behavior under load. Being able to use it at any radial position is actually handy!

It's free to slide on the bar. A very small clearance leads to good self-locking behavior under load. Being able to use it at any radial position is actually handy!

do you have drawings for it yet? I'm ready to make some parts for it. (not trying to rush you to make them) I'm able to make the jaws, pad, and stud. just not the nob or tube.

Back