Group Project: Small sliding bar clamp

Close! A question: do we want to make knobs or buy? I'm leaning toward make, assuming we get enough makers ;-)

Also, two clamps a person sound reasonable? Or just one?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I stayed up way too late drawing this up. And, of course, left out the locking screw. Fixed now...
I've tried to capture the actual tolerances needed on this; that's why you will see some surprisingly large ranges...

Key factor: I need to measure the tube stock I have! The sliding clamp and fixed clamp need to fit very closely on that bar, and I was not able to get tighter than +-0.005" tube. So, if I'm lucky its bang on and we start rolling. Moderately lucky I get to turn them down to size, and un-lucky we need to adjust the nominals for the two mating holes.

In any case, can y'all download and look over the drawings? Let me know what I messed up on, and lets start picking parts!

Oh, on the knob, the only parts that are important are the blind 1/4"-20 hole and being 1" ish diameter. As long as we can grab it and turn it reliably, it can be almost anything. Wood would even work if the hole is either super-glue stabilized before tapping or has a threaded insert.

Attachments

• Bar Clamp.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 70
I stayed up way too late drawing this up. And, of course, left out the locking screw. Fixed now...
I've tried to capture the actual tolerances needed on this; that's why you will see some surprisingly large ranges...

Key factor: I need to measure the tube stock I have! The sliding clamp and fixed clamp need to fit very closely on that bar, and I was not able to get tighter than +-0.005" tube. So, if I'm lucky its bang on and we start rolling. Moderately lucky I get to turn them down to size, and un-lucky we need to adjust the nominals for the two mating holes.

In any case, can y'all download and look over the drawings? Let me know what I messed up on, and lets start picking parts!

Oh, on the knob, the only parts that are important are the blind 1/4"-20 hole and being 1" ish diameter. As long as we can grab it and turn it reliably, it can be almost anything. Wood would even work if the hole is either super-glue stabilized before tapping or has a threaded insert.
i can make the stud and pad on my lathe. Only have 12L14 in the right size though, but can case harden the parts.

Here's the list of folks!
Tube WeldingRod
Braeden P
Stud Peyton Price 17
Pad Peyton Price 17
TTabbal
T Bredehoft
Joe065

Parts still un-claimed:
Knob
Sliding jaw
Fixed jaw

So far it looks like we are making 2 clamps per person, for a total of 12 clamps.

If someone has a good way to case harden the tube and jaws that would be a big improvement! I don't think this is a job for a torch and Casenit, though. Sounds more like a pack case hardening job...

Here's the list of folks!
Tube WeldingRod
Braeden P
Stud Peyton Price 17
Pad Peyton Price 17
TTabbal
T Bredehoft
Joe065

Parts still un-claimed:
Knob
Sliding jaw
Fixed jaw

So far it looks like we are making 2 clamps per person, for a total of 12 clamps.

If someone has a good way to case harden the tube and jaws that would be a big improvement! I don't think this is a job for a torch and Casenit, though. Sounds more like a pack case hardening job...
I can use a map gas torch for the stud and pad but any bigger I would need to bring out the forge.

I'll do the moving jaw unless someone else really has a thing for it. :) I'll need a final dimension for the tube so I can adjust the hole to fit.

Back