Guaging general condition

Wierd Harold

Active User
Registered
I was in a used machinery dealers warehouse yesterday and came apon a Craftsman Commercial back in a corner. It "looked" pretty good at first glance but the hand wheels for the cross slide and compound both had almost a full turn of play before anything moved. The cross slide and compound could also be moved back and forth almost 1/16" by hand. The whole machine was too dirty to do much else without some gloves and old clothes and rags. Are these two easy checks a good overall indicator of the condition of a lathe in general ? I would worry most about the quick change internals and head stock.
Worth going back to look at in detail ? Nothing is priced at this place, it looks like you pick and haggle. Most of the lathes and mills they had were bigger then my truck.
Wayne

Wayne,

It could give an idea of wear. But I wouldn't state that it did without first checking one other thing each place. For a rough check, grab the respective cranks and push and pull in line with the feed screw. If there is any discernible end float, that would account for part of the lost motion and can be adjusted out. A better check would be to make the adjustment and then repeat the crank rotary free motion and slide free motion test. At age 32, my Atlas 3996 has about .030" free crank rotation on the cross feed and .010" on the compound. All parts are original. I am about to replace the brass nut on the cross slide and if I don't forget, intend to measure the free motion of the cross slide before and after.

Also, if you can move the compound slide back and forth easily by hand, I think the gib is too loose.

Robert D.

At age 32, my Atlas 3996 has about .030" free crank rotation on the cross feed and .010" on the compound. All parts are original. I am about to replace the brass nut on the cross slide and if I don't forget, intend to measure the free motion of the cross slide before and after.

Robert D.[/QUOTE]

I guess then that I should be happy that my 80 year old Model D has .008 on the cross slide and .005 on the compound. Original screw and nut on the compound (I don't think the previous/original owners ever used it) but with a new larger dial assembly with teflon thrust washer. (new since last pictures)
The cross slide has the original screw and dials but a new/modified nut. I am about to make a new screw and larger dials. I am thinking of going with Acetal plastic nuts when I get a chance.

Wayne

My Atlas 12 has about 1/3 turn play on the cross slide and makes it very hard to machine a press fit bearing seat, so I came up with this cross slide indicator. Holding a .0005" tolerance is no longer a problem. Thanks and have a great day!! 100_0617.jpg100_0618.jpg

100_0617.jpg 100_0618.jpg

Back