Guardian Drill Press Idler Pulley Problem

Centershot

Registered
Registered
Hello all! Nice little place you fellows have hee, I feel lucky to have found it! As the thread title states, I'm experiencing a problem with the idler pulley on my drill press. It's a Guardian Power drill press, model BDM16SS, 16 speeds, 3 five groove pulleys for speed adjustment. This machine was given to me by a friend after his dad passed away, I don't know it's history beyond that. It seems that the man was not prudent about maintainance. On any other machine of this type that I've ever seen, mthere needs to be two movable pulleys to allow the belts (2) to be moved to allow speed adjustment. On this machine, the motor is mounted on a carriage that can be swiveled inboard (closer to the idler) after releasing a latch. The quill is stationary, no provision for movement there. The idler pulley is mounted on a "dog-leg" arm that should allow it to swivel L-R to allow speed change. BUT, it doesn't. It's locked up tight right where it is. I've had a heat lamp on the outside of the casting for ten days now and have been spraying the shaft with PB Blaster six times daily in an effort to free it up, no joy as of yet. At this point I'm almost ready to take it to a local shop and have them cut the shaft off, bore out the hole oversize and install a sleeve to fit a new shaft. So I am appealing to you folks for help/inspiration! Anyone have any ideas how to loosen this shaft?

Is there any indication of why it's frozen? Is the drill press rusted? The arrangement you described is a standard Chinese drill press
configuration, though at least on mine, the idler arm is pretty sloppy in the casting. If it's rusty, I would keep at it. The best stuff
I've found for freeing up assemblies is Kroil, so you might try that. If it isn't rusted, I don't know. There isn't by any chance a set
screw somewhere that locks the idler arm?

Is there any indication of why it's frozen? Is the drill press rusted? The arrangement you described is a standard Chinese drill press
configuration, though at least on mine, the idler arm is pretty sloppy in the casting. If it's rusty, I would keep at it. The best stuff
I've found for freeing up assemblies is Kroil, so you might try that. If it isn't rusted, I don't know. There isn't by any chance a set
screw somewhere that locks the idler arm?
Hello Nogoingback, thanks for your reply! It appears as though it is rusted in place, the old gent that had it wasn't much on maintainance. I've searched everywhere for a locking screw but there's nothing there. After 10 days of treatment with Blaster I would think it's either gonna' come loose or it's beyond repair. I'll pick up a can of Kroil tomorrow and have at it again. Can't hurt, right?

some percussion on the end of the part should help to break up the rust; go at it several times per day, not pounding, but sharp raps.

I just had a look at mine (25+ year old Jet). The hole for the tensioning arm is through drilled into the top of the casting
and the pin on the arm is visible up through the cavity in the casting. Had to use a flashlight and a mirror. If
you really get stuck you might partially disassemble it, put on the workbench and get in there with a long punch
to tap it loose. After letting it sit with Kroil for a few days...

bennychree, thanks for that idea, I hadn't thought of that!

notgoingback, the pivot post fits into a blind hole in the casting. No joy! :(

Well, it sounds like it's down to benmychree's love taps and a can of Kroil. Can you give it some taps on the "arm" portion
of the idler and try to rotate it?

Yes, that's the plan for now. I had to order the Kroil from Amazon, seems no one in town carries anything that exotic. Sheesh!

Yes, that's the plan for now. I had to order the Kroil from Amazon, seems no one in town carries anything that exotic. Sheesh!
Well, I've been at it with the Kroil and percussion routine for three days now, still no love! UGH! Trudgery....trudgery............Help me Mr. Wizard!........

Back