Gun Repair & Modification Tips

Your question is much to vague. Repairs to firearms are very specific and exacting. You're containing an explosion just inches from your face.
If you ask about a specific repair, provide the gun's complete description and what needs repaired. It is always best to find a competent gunsmith.

@shell70634 ,

Your response comes thru a little harsh.......this is the friendly machinist forum. :)
Sure let's warn about the complexity of the task, but let's also provide something useful too.

@MaryCHughes ,

Much depends on what you want to accomplish.

Are you after chasing every bit of accuracy when shooting?
Do you want to learn reloading?
Are you after keeping guns in show-room condition?
Are you interested in how to appropriately clean you guns without doing damage?
If you provide some direction, then people here will help you hit your target. ;)

There are some interesting discussions going on here.

Here's one:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/borescope-results.93819/
the main discussion is about setting expectations for what a new barrel should look like on close internal examination.
However the thread also gets into cleaning regimens and some subtleties of competition shooting.

Here's another about how to best fill some holes:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/filling-in-scope-mount-holes-in-a-receiver-barrel.92338/

You are welcome to ask anything you want here.
The more detail you can give the better the responses will be.

Welcome to the group!

-brino

Wasn't meant to be harsh or demeaning. Repairing or modifying firearms can be dangerous unless properly experienced or trained. Safety must be foremost. I've bought quite a few bubba modified firearms that were outright hazardous to use. I would hate for someone inexperienced to hurt themselves following guidance on a forum. I didn't mean my comments to be anything but informative. My apologies if anyone is distressed over them.

In addition to what has been said above, safety and what do you want to do, please include some information about yourself. What is your mechanical experience. By that I mean what is your hands on experience with tools? What tools do you have available and what kind of workspace do you have?
You can do a lot of minor touch-up and tuneup sitting at a table with a clamp-on vise. I used files, stones, drills, & a Dremal for years at a small hobby bench in my room. You can do more with a mill or drill press. Better still is a friend that has access to that kid of equipment.
Welcome to the group.

I would watch Larry Poterfield's videos on youtube for some good how to's. He makes it look way too easy though.... After a couple of his videos you'll want to open a shop!

the trigger group and the action in the marlin are not attached to each other and this makes improving the trigger very difficult . i attach the trigger and action together. making the trigger adjustable and stable.

Back