Gunsmiths Must Read Changing By Stroke Of Obama's Pen July 22, 2016

Personally the section I find most 'chilling' is section 3-a:

"3. Registration Required – Other than Manufacturing:
a) Assisting foreign persons in the design, development, and repair of firearms may constitute the export of a defense service (see 22 CFR § 120.9) and require ITAR registration with and authorization from DDTC;"

Imagine you participate on an online forum (not like anyone here would do that), and you happen to discuss firearms... better hope no "foreign persons" have access to the forum... hmm...

I guess this means that I just got a "promotion".......

All ITAR regs are NOT USA LAW. All treaty's must be ratified. The senate has not even given a hearing...much less any vote on the floor of the senate to anything related to ITAR. Over 55 senators have signed a letter to Obama saying they will not EVER vote for any such UN restrictions. ITAR is unconstitutional and in total opposition to the 2nd amendment. ATF cannot make ANY law or amendment. None of ITAR affects anyone in the USA. Every pro gun group has said the same thing along with several legal experts.

For now anyways!

sd624 - as a holder of a current US Dept of State DDTC ITAR Registration I can assure you that ITAR is, in fact, real and currently in place.

I suspect you are confusing the subject of this thread with the UN treaty on disarming the world population (whatever they call that piece of crap).

ITAR is real, it's govt overreach (it covers software and algorithms for pete's sake), and it is now yet another way for our bloated govt and corrupt "leaders" to try to bury the Constitution as a quaint historical document that no longer applies to "modern" society...

For the hobbyist and home gun enthusiasts, know that ITAR applies to those "engaged in the business." This means firearms manufacturers who do it as a business, hobbyists are in the clear.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sd624 - as a holder of a current US Dept of State DDTC ITAR Registration I can assure you that ITAR is, in fact, real and currently in place.

I suspect you are confusing the subject of this thread with the UN treaty on disarming the world population (whatever they call that piece of crap).

ITAR is real, it's govt overreach (it covers software and algorithms for pete's sake), and it is now yet another way for our bloated govt and corrupt "leaders" to try to bury the Constitution as a quaint historical document that no longer applies to "modern" society...

That's exactly what I was doing!!!! It was early...that's what I'm going with. Yes the ITAR is real and a bunch of bs.

Simple fact to keep in mind before anyone gets all worked up ... an executive order is not a law .

Just because someone wrote this up and it was signed does not mean a single thing .

Actually it's not an Executive Order either. It's a "Guidance Letter" released by the State Department (Directorate of Defense Trade Controls).
The insidious part of actions like this is that it takes existing programs (that are already overreaching) and simply expands them (by fiat) into areas they never (historically) were meant to apply. In this particular case it seems like the "intent" is simply to apply monetary and regulatory pressure against small gun-shops in a (fairly transparent) attempt to force them to "voluntarily" decide it just isn't worth the hassle (and potential fines, which as mentioned above are $1M per violation) and go out of business.

It really is a very sad state of affairs. :frown:

I disagree...executive orders and guidance letters may or may not be enforceable, but at minimum someone is going to have to take the ride through the courts for final determination, and that ride is both real and costly!

Just to reiterate what was said before, the feds make no distinction between full time professionals and hobbyists. If you take compensation for "gunsmith work", you are a gunsmith in their eyes, even if only once.

Back